DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New class V trailer hitch, JUNK!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New class V trailer hitch, JUNK!
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted
The receiver tube of the hitch on my dually was getting pretty sloppy, so while doing some upgrades to the old girl I decided to buy a new hitch. Figured for a few dollars more than a class 3 I could get a class V 2in hitch rated at 1600lbs tongue weight 16,000lbs draw it. Ordered a Curt class V for my truck and a couple of days later proceeded to install it. I had it clamped in place and the receiver tube appeared crooked. On close inspection the tube was straight but the collar on the end was crooked. I stuck my ball mount in it and it has more slop in it than the old hitch. Using calipers the inside of the tube measures 2.125! I'm hoping eTrailer doesn't hassle me returning this junk. I ordered a B&W hitch through them that the factory rep told me the specs for the internal dimensions of the tube are 2.024 + or - .010 which should be acceptable. This is just my opinion but if you have more than 2 bicycles on a 2 bike carrier in a Curt hitch you might consider checking your stuff! I worked installing hitches at an RV dealership for about 8 years, never saw crap like that!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good info. I too need to replace the hitch on my truck because the pin hole has become elongated.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I need to replace the one n my duallie too, thanks.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the standard is for the dimension of the insert and the tolerance for that. I don't want it sloppy, but certainly I want it to fit even worst case with the stack up.
The sloppy hitch deal has always aggravated me. But I don't want a stuck hitch either.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Every ball mount I have used on my Tundra is loose as hell with the factory receiver.

I like my Curt weight distributing hitch, it's the round bar style. Used it on my motorhome for many years.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Check out the hitch bumpers these guys make.

http://reunelbumpers.com/rear-bumpers/

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post