DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Timing retard while on two step?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timing retard while on two step?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone doing this to reduce wear and tear on the engine while on the transbrake?

Id like to hear thoughts from someone has tried this before if possible.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^ Dragster or Door car?

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I did try that with my efi setup, and it did smooth it out on the 2 step a little. Now the digital 7 box I used to use was silky smooth anyhow. So I don't know that there would be an advantage there. There were some other settings in the efi that made the two step a little smoother. Not sure I know what the difference was, but it was better.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6364 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Markemark medium door car. Smile

Bucky, thanks for the incite.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanNorton1:
Markemark medium door car.

What model MSD ignition ? If using a delay box what model?

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
MSD 6010
Mega 450

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you believe / wonder if using a retard while on the 2-step might be beneficial to your racing I suggest that you try it. Whether it’s to control (slow RT) or improve launch or make the engine stutter smoother on 2-step it doesn’t matter. Try it and see if it produces the results you are looking for.

If wanting to use, I assume you’ll use the Mega SFO function programmed to Line Lock to activate the Step Retard in 6010 while the 2-step is activated. I believe this works as you intend.

If wanting to continue this retard after launch, place a jumper wire from S.F.O. to T.STOP, program Stage 1 to start at 0.001 .

I have used retards while on 2-step and after launch depending on what I wanted to control since installing Digital 7 in 2008 and MSD Grid in late 2011.

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
I have this question that goes along with this discussion.
I have always felt pulling timing at 0 could effect reaction time. So, is there a way to pull timing while on 2 step and continue it till after the car launches ? If you would need to use 1 function of the Grid for pre 0 and another for post 0 would there be a blip on your timing graph at 0 ?( same amount of retard) Can this be done with RPM and or time ? I hope you understand what I am trying to ask here !

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 27Keith:
I have always felt pulling timing at 0 could effect reaction time. So, is there a way to pull timing while on 2 step and continue it till after the car launches ?

If using 7730 Grid, and wanting to 2-step with retard and continue this retard after launch, this would be programmed in Launch Retard.

Example. Open MSDView 4 and select Ignition Timing / Launch Retard tabs. In the left hand table under Time From Launch the first entry will be 0.00 . The Ignition Timing will be set to -5 adjacent to this. The second line will be 1.00 and -5. The third line will be 1.01 and 0. The map next to this will display what you programmed.

Here’s how you can test it. In the upper right select the Gauge 1 tab. In the table below select Ignition Timing, Launch Input, Time From Launch and Timing Retard. Turn the ignition on but do not start. Look at the gauges to see what ignition timing is displayed. Now push and hold the TB button. The timing should now be reduced by 5*. Release the TB button and let the delay box run. 1 second after the delay box times out you should see the 5* retard you programmed be removed. If wanting to repeat this just push the TB button again and it’ll reset the Launch Timer and start this again.