DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Iron heads to aluminum----now not consistent?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron heads to aluminum----now not consistent?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
If anyone cares...I think it's better. Went back to original jets. Went one step colder plug. Had 10 passes all within .015 over 2 days from 930am to 1130pm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jay giles,

Posts: 36 | Location: rougemont,nc | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jay, good progress. I suggest consistently keeping records of "everything" you are at the point now where several very small things can come into play.

*Consistent staging position
*consistent staging RPM
*consistent temps
*consistent shift RPM
*consistent air pressure

Begin to examine every move you make. Consider if you can improve the above list by .002 each.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jay giles:
I think it's better. Went back to original jets. Went one step colder plug. Had 10 passes all within .15 over 2 days from 930am to 1130pm.

I’ll assume that you meant .015. If so, this is good . Do you have any Data Acquisition in the car or even a playback tach?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
OOPS....yes .015....No none of that. Want to try a MSD grid one day if other stuff quit breaking. Old school I guess now. 6AL. Two step at 4600, shift at 6600...2750lbs..4.56 gear...14-32 tire...8.5-9 lbs...fastest is 6.17.

Posts: 36 | Location: rougemont,nc | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jay giles:
Want to try a MSD grid one day if other stuff quit breaking. Old school I guess now. 6AL.

If you ever decide to go with Grid, a $400 MSD 7730 will attach to your present 6al system very nicely.

Then you will have the ability to change shifts in 1 rpm increments and launch in 50 rpm increments.

You will also be able to change timing for the entire run to see if a change will produce better results without physically making the move in your pickup sensor or distributor.

Many that still use analog ignition don’t want to deal with a laptop needed to go to Digital.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
looking at the NGK plug in the pic, i would recommend pulling a little fuel and add 1-2 degrees of timing.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted Hide Post
More timing, hotter plug, 3/4 passes on new plugs then cut open post pics, then decide on jetting.

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post