DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Iron heads to aluminum----now not consistent?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron heads to aluminum----now not consistent?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted
Motor was deadly consistent. Had some other issues with motor.(broke crank)replaced crank freshened motor. Decided to try some AFR 220 heads. Old heads were Iron world products. Car picked up .15 or so. I know they flow better so I jetted up some (alky). Varies 2-3 numbers now mostly from 330 on. 60 foots are consistent.
Any ideas?

Posts: 36 | Location: rougemont,nc | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jay, two suggestions for testing;

*return jetting to the original consistent configuration.

*what was the ignition timing with the iron head package?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
in some cases, methanol will like 2 - 3 degrees maybe even less, timing, need to experiment.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
It was ran with original jetting. That's why I changed it trying to get better.
Timing is at 34 deg.

Posts: 36 | Location: rougemont,nc | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
another thought, aluminum pulls heat away from the chamber more than iron, may need to stage at higher engine temp.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
Yes....thought about eng temp last night...usually 170 at stage.
Wonder what plugs are same as autolite AR135. That's what other heads had. These heads have to have the longer with gasket. I had NGK (don't know number, I'm at work)..I put AR3910 in last week.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Post a picture of the plugs

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
OK...been a while since I've posted any pics...how you do it now?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used to use accel 143 , or champion n4c both have the non- projected nose. These are 3/4 reach. In a 355 and a 406 w/ brodix track one heads on alky, temp staging was 170-180 and timing 4 to 6 less than gas and shift it early (6400 vs 7k w/ gas)

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Id go to a NGK R5672A-9, if you think it needs hotter go to a 8. Autolites are no good anymore IMO.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth my sbf stuff ran best at 31-32°. What is your fuel system setup?

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I used to run 3910 on alky as well in my sbc, got tired of having issues with the plugs. switched to ngk - 8 and got much better, ended up going to an ngk - 7 was even better, and started a bunch better.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Crazy idea but any chance the broken crank did some damage to the converter or transmission? Only thing that happens between 60 and 330 is the shift.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I read that wtong you said 330 on, my bad. Is the mph consistent or does it vary like the et does?

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
Ngk that I was running is R5671A-7
Autolite I ran this weekend is AR3910.
Have pics...now to figure out how to post.

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
Oh well...went to postimage photo hosting site...not sure what I'm doing...could post pics using photobucket years ago...guess I'm getting ancient.[IMG]URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/Jay_Giles/media/image_zpscvrkhfpk.j [IMG]Plugs photo image_zpscvrkhfpk.jpeg[/IMG] peg.html] [/URL][/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jay giles,

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
[IMG] photo image_zpsiheylxto.jpeg[/IMG]

DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
PICS FINALLY

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Is the car in your avatar the car in question? Did you reset ride height after putting the aluminum heads on the car? I wonder if the front end is up higher and not possibly tripping the same everytime. Have you tried racing at a different track?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jay giles
posted Hide Post
Yes that's the car. If it's up higher can't be much. But yes 3 different tracks.