DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    24V Battery Charger suggestions????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

24V Battery Charger suggestions????
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted
Anyone have a portable 24V charger (prefer hand carry) somewhere around 10amps. What do you have/suggest?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just curious....whatcha using 24v on?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post

Got a heck of deal on one of these, and the old shumacher 24v charger doesn't seem to be putting out any charge. Its a yard tug for trailers, will do 5th wheel, gooseneck and bumperpull trailers.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Slick! I have a quick attach trailer hitch coming for the bucket of my tractor. Should be handy.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
This thing is pretty cool. It has two speeds and forward and reverse and maneuvers my stacker easier than a pallet jack. It has two batteries that make up the 24v drive system. Then it has a 12v battery and a standard trailer brake controller to control the brakes.

Rob Robertson

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
pain in the ass but you could charge each battery seperately

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don’t know for sure how it would work but two 12 volt chargers hooked in series. Positive of one charger hooked to negative of other charger then positive and negative other leads hooked up accordingly. But then if you had two chargers you could just charge each battery by itself.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not sure they make one for 24 volts, but maybe at a golf cart place? They do make 36 volt chargers for those.....otherwise just charge batteries individually. Is it using two twelve volt or 4 6 volt?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
It is (2) 12 volts.

Also thought about putting a disconnect in the series wire, and then put two less expensive 12v chargers on it.

Rob Robertson

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t think you need disconnect, charger will only charge across the battery you are connected to.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the schumacher 12/24 wheel charger on my service truck to charge construction equipment. good unit has held up well for being beat over the road. there is a small 24v 12 amp I looked at, dont remember whose it was tho. i do know they are spendy.

Posts: 293 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
we have used this for about the last 2 years to charge 2 12v batteries hooked together as a starting battery pack for a nostalgia dragster.
It automatically picks up as 24v and charges at 5 amps and will go into float mode and act like a maintainer between races.
Been using the same batteries for 4 years so must be somewhat ok.
https://www.amazon.com/banshee...2Caps%2C169&sr=8-136

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Several on Ebay. Search 24 volt charger.
YAAAOSwXKdd%7EZJJ" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2...2:gRed FaceYAAAOSwXKdd~ZJJ

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Here is one that is 5 amp with maintainer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTER...047675.c100005.m1851

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Mopar thanks for the suggestion!

Curly, I was hoping for a unit that some of you had experience with.

Rob Robertson

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Green1,

I think I owe you a beer at the next race we are both at.

Two individual battery maintainers will charge the two 12V batteries. Two 12V maintainers are a lot cheaper than one 24V charger.

Rob Robertson