Bracket Talk
vega bbc headers

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/2267088296

March 18, 2020, 10:22 AM
Novacaine
vega bbc headers
Does anyone have a set of bbc headers for a vega for sale? or know of any I can use without getting a set fabed up?
March 19, 2020, 12:22 PM
HS professor
While I have no advice or leads on Vega headers, I can say making your own is probably your best bet. I made a set for our BB S-10 and it really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I bought the Headman kit and a few extra bends and had at it. I fabbed up all the bends, tacked it all with a mig and my son tig welded them. Came out as nice as any header I've ever bought and starter and oil filter is a breeze. I consider myself an average fabricator, it was actually kinda fun ……….
March 20, 2020, 04:33 PM
Novacaine
Did you make your headers fender exits or under vehicle exit? And I don't have a tubing Bender which might be a little problem.
March 21, 2020, 01:44 PM
HS professor
quote:
Did you make your headers fender exits or under vehicle exit? And I don't have a tubing Bender which might be a little problem.

I was going to do fender exits as I think it's pretty cool and probably would have been way easier, but I went with under chassis as I figure I may want mufflers at some time. I got 3 tubes inside the frame and one wraps around so kept all my steering radius. No need for a tubing bender, just a bunch of bends and a band saw or Sawzall. I bought a cheap harbor freight table top belt sander too, although helpful it pissed me off every time I used it. A real piece of chit.
March 21, 2020, 04:57 PM
ziggy1357
I have a BBC Vega with the stock front clip. Even though the headers were custom built for the car they're still an incredible pits. I'm limited to an oil pan which appears the same as a stock pan. I tried to use a Mezier starter and couldn't get it to fit without hitting the headers. The diaper gets burned no matter how I install it. If I were getting new headers I would have fender exit headers to resolve all those problems.
March 21, 2020, 05:58 PM
SCDIV1
I had a Vega that was a tube chassis with a Strange A-Arm front end. Pretty much built like a Pro stock car from the 1970’s

It came with custom made BB headers. Very tight fit. Collectors hit the ground a few times if I was on the brakes.

I ran a small block when I first got the car and bought a set of headers that were built for a similar type chassis. They didn’t fit without some major modifications.

Custom built fender exit would be way better.

Really not that hard to do if you buy the right material.
March 22, 2020, 04:26 PM
Novacaine
Thanks guys for all your help.I found a used set but I like the idea of fender exits to not have starter issues. The car came with a set of sb fender exit headers.