DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Silverado Late Shifting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silverado Late Shifting
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
2010 I picked up with 115k miles. 3/4 ton crew with 6.0L. I have owned 6.0L's so no stranger to them.

Particularly pulling a trailer, it will shift late to the point where it's pretty clear at times it isn't going to shift until you pull your foot up. Anything particular that one should look for on these?

I put new plugs and wires on it a few months back, and found one center electrode missing. Rest of the plugs didn't look new, but didn't have pieces missing. The truck seems to run fine, but might be down on power just a little. O2 sensor? Injector? I would think it would idle and run worse if it were those things.

I really like the truck overall. Good shape and no rust...yet. The service tire pressure monitoring system notice is on. And blinks.

Any thoughts?
Oh, never seen an SES light on it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6384 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My E-450 C class V10 Motorhome does the exact same thing. It's a 5 speed auto...o/d

I pull my foot off the gas to make it shift up sooner than it would if I stayed on the gas.
It's annoying....It also has Tow/Haul mode and that just makes it hold gears longer and downshift sooner and for deceleration on a down hill....

I have read on various RV forums the 5 Star programmer fixes the poor shift timing on Ford V10 MH's. At $500 I never bought one....

Something like that may be a solution for your pickup....a performance type programmer....

I had one for my '96 GMC pickup and it made a pretty noticeable difference....454 4L80E trans....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have the 5 star programmer on my V10 motorhome. Trans shift is absolutely spot on. Hold gears better on smaller hills. Best investment by far for performance upgrade

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put new plugs and wires on it a few months back, and found one center electrode missing.

I experiences the same thing on a Corvette with 21k miles! I assume you were dealing with fine wire iridium like I was. Mine of course was AC Delco factory items. Had one missing when pulled and another come off while checking the gap. I went back in with double platinum, which have a more substantial center electrode. I can almost imagine the damage hard iridium could do to a valve face, or caught between piston and cyl. wall.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm not against a tuner or tuning. But it seems strange. Surely that isn't how it ran from the factory?

I don't even want to know where that factory electrode went. I'm gonna say just right out the exhaust port!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6384 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't even want to know where that factory electrode went. I'm gonna say just right out the exhaust port!

Me too! Let a dead dog lie.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

Me too! Let a dead dog lie.

Wait... sleeping?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo