Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel shut off
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted
What are you guys using for a fuel shut off valve for cleaning/changing fuel filter?
My fuel line is -8AN, trying to figure if i should go up in size with valve to a -10AN due to possible I.D. restriction of ball valve. Anyone got any advice?

Joe McBride

Posts: 5 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
pair of vice grips on line coming to fuel pump/filter......dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1430 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I would never use vice grips on any AN line on my race car,JMO. I use AN caps and plugs when I change the filter,you might lose a little fuel but not much.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 369dragster:
I would never use vice grips on any AN line on my race car,JMO. I use AN caps and plugs when I change the filter,you might lose a little fuel but not much.

What Ken said!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Ck fuel filter once a year. Run fuel cell low and drain it so you know it's clean too. I filter all of my fuel as I pour it in the cell with a filter in the funnel.

Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I should have clarified... As long as it's not the PTFE and it's rubber lined. Won't hurt a thing. If your still concerned, think about how most cut it...bolt cutters, or chisel as aeromotive videos suggest. It goes right back to shape. Just give it a gentle perpendicular squeeze.
Also realize, it just barely needs pinched to stop the flow...not suggesting that one crushes it.
Have done it for years with zero issues. Many OEM use this technique in service of rubber lined. You just can't be stupid and go nuts.

Posts: 1430 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Never heard of nor seen a AN line cut with bolt cutters or chisel.Hell can be pain to assemble when cut with cut off wheel and perfectly clean cut. To each their own,

I use caps or plugs when cleaning system if not pulling everything to clean.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Never heard of nor seen a AN line cut with bolt cutters or chisel.Hell can be pain to assemble when cut with cut off wheel and perfectly clean cut. To each their own,

I tape the center of the cut with electrical tape and use a sharp cable cutter for a fast clean cut.

View this video at 1:45 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeeflgGlenY

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Leverag...N3JN2VPB365DYGPQK84X

I used to tape the hose and use a cut off wheel. This is so much faster. Been using these for years on braided lines. Once they get dull they tend to fray the outer braid on the back side of the cut. Just replace them if it does.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 732 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

I tape the center of the cut with electrical tape and use a sharp cable cutter for a fast clean cut.

View this video at 1:45 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeeflgGlenY

exactly. Cut off wheels are a nightmare with this stuff...dust and debis all over - birdsnesting of the stainless. Just put a 615 in a nova for a friend and was helping him. He did one with a cutoff wheel and I made him go get cutters after he stuck himself 5 times within a five minute period. THe rest were perfect.

Here is the chisel - I stated aeromotive but it was Earls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1J7u8sG118

The cable or bolt cutter method is still nice since many times your trimming a line to final length and dont have the ability to hammer or cutoff wheel the end with crap flying all over.

Last comment - I dont see my pinching the line a little to stop flow causing an issue with the two methods demostrated by knowledgable supply companies.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I pump my fuel cell empty then clean filter, no extra equipment needed.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post