New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slick Bulge?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Trying to put some bigger slicks on my S10. I bought some 15x14 welds with 5-in backspace and a set of 32-14 Hoosiers but they have two inches of bulge past the bead, I didn't buy the wheels for the tires. Anyone have any recommendations for a tire with less bulge such as a radial or should I just get a 13 wide slick?

Posts: 373 | Location: Shelbyville Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tire manufactures have their recommended wheel widths and sizes listed. Check out their sites rather than guessing.

Posts: 1435 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just getting some opinions,I know Hoosiers have the most bulge.Radials have the least but not sure how many bracket racers are using them

Posts: 373 | Location: Shelbyville Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was recommended to use a 15x15 for a 14/32 because it actually put more tire on the track....haven’t ordered wheels yet though

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Agreed. If later wanting to go 33x15 you’re set.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think he has space restrictions and is why he’s concerned with the tire bulge.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I think he has space restrictions and is why he’s concerned with the tire bulge.

Yes i am, I could have went with a 12 or 13-in wheel and had plenty of room but I would rather have a 14-in wheel and a smaller slick to stretch across it for a better footprint.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImBack:
quote:

Yes I'm close on room,, I could have went with a 12 or 13-in wheel and had plenty of room but I would rather have a 14-in wheel and a smaller slick to stretch across it for a better footprint.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fwiw, my Vega is a narrow little car. I have 15x14 weld wheels I don’t remember what backspace. Anyway,I have tried m/t and Goodyear slicks on the same wheels. What I found was the Goodyears had a flatter side wall with less bulge than the same size m/t tire. I can use either or but goodyears do have more sidewall clearance.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What he said^^^. But I am a Hoosier guy but did try a set of Goodyear’s once.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I get that part about wanting the widest wheel that is recommended for the tire; it seems like the tire likes to lay 'flatter' against the pavement.

Did you say how much clearance you have between the sidewall and the leaf spring, or the inner side of the fenderwell?

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys! I was talking to a friend of mine that said the Goodyear had the least amount of bulge as well. I may just put these wheels up for sale and get some 12s then I have more options. I thought I had everything calculated just right but for some reason these wheels are a little wider than what they should measure and the backset is not quite 5 inches like it should measure. A friend of mine said I could put 10.5 x 33s on here, but I'm not sure I'll do that.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One thing I will say is don’t calculate things by the numbers on the sidewalls, look up the specs on manufacturers website. I have seen tires with smaller numbers actually bigger than others. A 32 x 13.5W x 15 Hoosier is bigger than a 32x14x15 Hoosier for example. I have ran both on my old car.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well I just looked at their chart and guess I was wrong, I coulda swore they were wider.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
The right thing would be to buy the right rim to be honest. That said goodyear might be the fix for you. Can you fit a wider rim?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well I just looked at their chart and guess I was wrong, I coulda swore they were wider.

Funny you mentioned that The wheels came with 3214 Hoosiers and a friend had some 32 13.5 W he give me and their exact same size only the W tires are stiff sidewall. I mounted one up yesterday and it's a tad narrower but not much because of the stiffer side wall it has less bulge

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
The right thing would be to buy the right rim to be honest. That said goodyear might be the fix for you. Can you fit a wider rim?

Yeah actually I need a 15x14 6 backspace, if I was smart I would have kept my Chevy II wagon in my sig picture years ago hahaha

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend of mine said I could put 10.5 x 33s on here, but I'm not sure I'll do that.

33x10.5s screwed on 14" wheels definitely isn't uncommon. We run them on 12" wheels and wish I'd gotten 14"

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ImBack:
A friend of mine said I could put 10.5 x 33s on here, but I'm not sure I'll do that.

33x10.5s screwed on 14" wheels definitely isn't uncommon. We run them on 12" wheels and wish I'd gotten 14"

I see a lot of people on yellow bullet with that set up but wasn't sure about bracket racing, it would definitely get rid of the tire bulge I'm dealing with.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ImBack:

I see a lot of people on yellow bullet with that set up but wasn't sure about bracket racing, it would definitely get rid of the tire bulge I'm dealing with.

Our car is 26xxlbs going 9.2x and 5.9x. We went two seasons (250ish runs) on a set of 33s. We do run tubes to extend the side wall life.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post