Find
Notify
Tools

Slick Bulge?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
OP, have you got any room on the inner or outer side, where a different backspace wheel would help? (BTW, the bulge you referred to is called "Section Width", is the widest point of the sidewalls, most every slick Mfr posts that info in their catalogs for the sake of fitment and comparison. And you can find some huge differences in section width of various slicks, for a given tread width).

Also, for what it's worth: I believe Weld Wheels measures their backspacing from the inner bead-seating surface, to the inner wheel mounting surface. Not from the inner edge of the wheel. They catalog their wheels in even inches of backspacing, (3, 4, 5, etc). But every one I have measured is over by a half-inch.
So a wheel spec'd at 5" BS is going to measure 5.5", 3" BS is 3.5", etc.
Just something to keep in mind.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
To add what he said above I did see Hoosier gave their specs and what size wheel the specs were measured on.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys, I'll either get the 33x10.5 or get another set of wheels. Little bit of mess calculation, lol... And the way the bed sides are on an S10 it makes the tire stick out more, than where I measured straight up from the center of the hub to that part of the bedside

Posts: 373 | Location: Shelbyville Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Update, found some MT 33x 10.5x15w, that were almost new.Got them mounted up today and they fit perfectly, on a 14-in rim.Their a lot bigger than I imagined 16 1/4 section width

Posts: 373 | Location: Shelbyville Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Plumb bob:

1. Inner frame to floor
2. Inside lip of quarter panel to floor
3. Axle flange to floor
4. Find the SECTION WIDTH of the drag tire with the size of rim you have.

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J69:
Plumb bob:

1. Inner frame to floor
2. Inside lip of quarter panel to floor
3. Axle flange to floor
4. Find the SECTION WIDTH of the drag tire with the size of rim you have.

I knew the size I needed but bought some and the guy measured and listed them wrong.