DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Possible ignition problem, idle only
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible ignition problem, idle only
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted
So whatever this is, started almost a month ago, at idle there’s just a random intermittent miss almost all of the time.. I thought it was fuel related at first, so I swapped carburetors, which seemed like it helped a little bit but still did it. I made probably 6-7 runs in a row and the last two it was really acting up bad. It ran fine at full throttle, but kept giving me problems at idle.. does anyone have suggestions what to check ignition related or something else?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is the car still running the number it usually runs. As dumb as this may sound I have seen a leaking header gasket sound an awful lot like a miss at idle. And you wont notice it at wide open throttle. Most ignition issues of seen become more magnified with RPM and load.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
It ran the number 7-8 times in a row yesterday at WOT, grid graph shows no spikes, it’s real smooth except one little dip one run in high gear and once after finish line

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You have Grid so use it to look at the ignition when you experience this problem.

In Grid Data Acquisition / Start Recording tabs program the Engine RPM Above to 400 rpm. I’ll assume the AND is Launch Input and STATE is ON. In Stop Recording tab program the Engine RPM Below to 100 and the Maximum Recording time to 180 ( 3 minutes).

In CHANNELS tab ENABLE the Ignition IN and Ignition OUT channels.

Here’s how this works. When you start to experience this problem cycle the Trans Brake button. This will start the Grid DA recording. After you’ve experienced the problem several times turn ignition off and retrieve the DA.

Open the DA and select the Engine RPM , Ignition IN and Ignition OUT channels. Expand the DA so that you can see the individual Ignition IN / OUT pulses. Look for your miss problem. This will be a missing Input and Output pulse.

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Okay, I’ll give that a try Mark! I just don’t understand how it’s completely fine full throttle, going down the track.. but at idle it’s doing it...

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3