New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Filter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Looking for recommendations on an air filter.

I have plenty of clearance - tried a friends and the linkage hit because it was a drop-base.

This is a 4150.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We ran the wedge uni filter on my wife's car for many years with no problems or performance loss. Ditched it when we switched to alcohol.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I like the screens Ed posted, but there is also another alternative. Might sound kinda crazy, but it works. Go to your local store and go to the kitchen section. Get a small round wire strainer. They come in different sizes, and they do have sizes that just happen to be the same size a dominator or a 4150 carb uses. Slightly smaller screen than the ones made for cars, and pretty inexpensive too....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used this on the Chevelle.

Welcome to try A-B test if interested.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I still use this same one for over 15 yrs and have it on my new EFI system now. The foam is easy to clean with simple green / water and re-oil with their spray can lube. 4.5” tall and mounts above carb mounting surface. They list foam replacements in 2 thicknesses. Red which is thinnest and black that is 2x as thick. Both elements work same on my engine. Car runs same et with air filter on or removed.

Be advised that if your engine is prone to back-fireing through the carb it’ll melt the foam. My engine doesn’t do this.

http://shop.unifilter.com/c/au...e_racing-air-filters

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
https://www.poske.com/item/165...e?keyword=OCT10-1345

Add a K&N filter and top.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I use a drop based along with a filter spacer.
https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wc...ogId=10002&langId=-1

Posts: 121 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have used Uni Filters for a long time and never an issue. But as stated if you have a car that like to backfire through the carb ther foam will be toast. Just watched a guy do this in November when he got on the two step popped and made a mess. I wont run a car withoutan air cleaner out here way to much dust, dirt and rocks to not run something.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run a base and lid from these guys.

Cleared linkage well. I used a 6" tall cleanable filter.

https://bryke.com/carburator-a...sories/air-cleaners/

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Put in the biggest k&n that fits.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Greg
R2C Performance Products for the air filter. Not sure what they have for bases.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Summit and Speedway used to sell R2C, but no longer list any filters. Where are you buying?

Posts: 121 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAD:
Summit and Speedway used to sell R2C, but no longer list any filters. Where are you buying?

Directly from them.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I've been running a standard 14x3 with 2" drop K&N filter and housing for over 20 years. 4150 linkage does not hit. The K&N base is nice because it has a rolled edge where it sits on the carb flange so it's not cutting into the top of the carb.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post