DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Struggling with new alcohol setup
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Struggling with new alcohol setup
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Never had any issue getting help from Patrick. Hell he sent me another carb at zero charge to try.. Always been great to work with.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Get rid of the vacuum regulator!! That’s your issue. Install 1 bypass regulator from Magnafuel or Product Engineering.

Been using that vacuum reg for 10 years always worked great. Is there a better way?

Brian, I’ve never run alcohol in anything other than juniors but a good friend of mine who knows his way around a carb better than most, has been running both alcohol and pro systems carbs for a long time and he couldn’t get the carb to work right with that boost reference vacuum regulator. Swapped it out for a return style regulator and all was good.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Joining a little late but here is a setup that has been flawless since it was installed.
#10 line out of fuel cell (rear), to the filter, to the regulator and the return line is also #10, Magnaflow 500 with #8 bypass back to fuel cell. Aeromotive bypass regulator that we modified a fitting for with 1/8NPT threads for a fuel press gauge to check pressure. Then we capped the return line to see what our "dead-head pressure" was. Carb builder said he wanted 25-27 psi and that was almost exactly what we had. Hooked up the #10 return line and set the #8 line going to the carb at 7 psi. Stays locked on 7 psi and basically never quivers on the data display. Carb has been WAY BETTER than the driver lately ;-).
My theory with alky carbs is it is usually a sticking float or debris in an air bleed, especially if doing stuff like was described here was happening.
Glad he might have found out the vacuum assisted regulator might have been the issue.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

...I’ve never run alcohol in anything other than juniors but a good friend of mine...

So, all your expert advice on alcohol carburetors has nothing to do with facts or experience, just hearsay from buddies and/or friends. Good to know.

Move along, nothing to see here, lol.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I offered my opinion not expert advice supported by first hand knowledge. Spitting

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The regulator prosystems sells has a vacuum reference port which is supposed to make the regulator act like a belt drive pump when the vacuum port is used with alcohol. I have this regulator on my car but running gas which patrick said don't hook anything up to the port. If i let it sit for a month or more when i start it the regulator leaks fuel out the vacuum port. After running a while it stops leaking. Idk if mine is defective or if this is common but if it were to leak with vacuum port being used you would never see it leak and suck extra fual in the motor. I just purchased a holley 12-841 to replace it. i don't like fuel leaks personally.

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Luvtruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSRacing:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
What about paperwork, do we have any paperwork like this?

The only paperwork I received was a receipt that didn't have any specs on it and a baggie of main jets that I have misplaced since the shop got built in June.

I just recieved a new alcohol carb from Patrick last week and mine had the information sheet in the box.
Call or email Patrick with the number stamped on top of the carb and he can send you the build sheet.

Posts: 242 | Location: Vanceboro NC | Registered: February 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post