DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    power bleeders/one man bleeders
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

power bleeders/one man bleeders
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Ok, all the brake fluid talk got me to thinking I need to look at my car (and truck) as well. Not gonna bother inspecting the fluid, just gonna change it and be done. Problem is, it's just me, and bleeding them will be an issue. What are you guys using to bleed the brakes when you're by yourself?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
buy a Mityvac vacuum bleeder, the higher end one that you hook an air line to is even better than the hand held, pump action. That said, there must be someone around you can bribe with a beer or lunch to pump the brakes for 30 minutes.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
buy a Mityvac vacuum bleeder, the higher end one that you hook an air line to is even better than the hand held, pump action. That said, there must be someone around you can bribe with a beer or lunch to pump the brakes for 30 minutes.

I forgot about the mityvac....have one of those....been a while since I used it for anything so it slipped my mind.....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I still feel old school, pump, pump, pump, dump works best.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still feel old school, pump, pump, pump, dump works best.

Same....it works so why change it....I just don't have long enough legs to do it and crack the bleeder screw at the same time!!

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
find a woman with long legs and watch her pump while you dump. Big Grin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
MATCO makes the best one....IMO

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
find a woman with long legs and watch her pump while you dump. Big Grin

Laughing Hard

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
MATCO makes the best one....IMO

but Matco doesn't make it, Mityvac does.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Change it and bleed at same time.

I open both bleeders on caliper.Hook a piece of hose to each.Put ends into a bottle brake fluid with about 1" in bottom. I start pumping till MC about empty.Refill and do again and maybe third time.Swap sides and repeat. All air gone and all fluid is new. Plus you can catch all that goes thru system and save it instead of blowing all over floor.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Never could get that last bit of air out of my brake system (dragster with the master lower than the calipers)no matter how much I pumped it. Used a pressure bleeder and now I can do it by myself and don't have any air left in the system. I've tried vacuum bleeding at my shop but had better results pressure bleeding.

Posts: 28 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: September 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My dragster has a single plastic reservoir Tilton MC, who makes a pressure bleeder for this application?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
I use a motive power bleeder on everything I can. Very easy and requires no assistance. They make several adapters for it. Ed, does your dragster have a mopar style cap on the m/c? If so they have an adapter.

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no, a screw on cap

DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
Ed, might be worth the call to see if they have one that fits. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I will thanks

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use a pressure bleeder at work all the time. No helper necessary and it works great. I can't remember the brand but it has adapters for every master cyl I've come across.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i think pressure is best but,i use fittings from mity vac and hook to atomizer with the mity vac can in between.maybe not ideal but works for me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
From a theoretical standpoint pressure bleeding seems the most appropriate, but I've never had one. For years I used my mity-vac and always had excellent results. But the last couple of times I've rigged up my A/C vac pump and it works great and is much faster. Not to mention saving hand squeeze repetitions.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post