Find
Notify
Tools

Dry sump ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
I'm in the process of installing a 4 stage dry sump pump system to my dragster.
I received this setup from a friend who retired from racing so it came without any instructions and it's the weekend so I cant call the manufacture with questions.
With 4 stages of scavenging in how many scavenge out are needed to the holding tank?
Also what is the smallest tank capacity that can be used. This is on a blown alcohol 540 BBC.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a four stage on mine. Peterson 7 quart tank, Moroso four stage pump, Billet fab two piece pan. I have the main return from the pump to the tank, the feed to the pressure section from the bottom of the tank to the pump, and three scavenge lines from the pan to the pump....

It's only one line to the tank....and one from on my setup...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
OK Mark. That's just what I have as well.
I questioned 4 scavenge in VS 1 out to the tank.
That's a good thing as I don't need to weld another bung into the tank!
Where are your 4 savaged locations?
I was planning on two in the pan and one at each cylinder head at the drain back in the back of the heads.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Bruce, 4 stage means three scavenge sections, one pump section. All three of my scavenge sections are in the pan. I'd have no less than three in the pan, and if you were running a five stage, I'd seal the cam tunnel and lifter valley and pull from there. I have drain lines in my heads (old ones and new ones coming), and they drain to the pan. Bungs are on each side in line with the next to last main cap.

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post

I run a Peterson 5 stage pump. Yes it's mounted on the wrong side. I used the Pro Gold Teflon hose on the whole system. If you used a braided rubber line I believe you will need springs in the suction lines to prevent collapsing them.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
https://www.moroso.com/pub/med...arts/OilSumpInfo.pdf

Best thing I ever did. I have 80+ pressure all the time.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Bruce, 4 stage means three scavenge sections, one pump section. All three of my scavenge sections are in the pan. I'd have no less than three in the pan, and if you were running a five stage, I'd seal the cam tunnel and lifter valley and pull from there. I have drain lines in my heads (old ones and new ones coming), and they drain to the pan. Bungs are on each side in line with the next to last main cap.

I have 4 stages of scavenge. 5 sections overall.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:

Ah, that would make sense then!!! I'd do one stage in the lifter valley then...seal it off...

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:

Ah, that would make sense then!!! I'd do one stage in the lifter valley then...seal it off...

Mark how are you getting a oil pickup into the valley?
My blower covers the intake manifold pretty much from to past the back

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
While on the subject of dry sump systems one of my son's (Rob) is looking for a 5 stage Peterson system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
I have 4 in the pan and three going into the tank.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I'm running a four stage setup. One pressure stage and three suction. All my suction are in the pan. As to where to pull from in the valley, you go into the china wall below the intake...some aftermarket blocks will have a boss for this as well. I'd have to look at mine again to see if it does or not, I don't remember..

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
While on the subject of dry sump systems one of my son's (Rob) is looking for a 5 stage Peterson system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Bob, I live about an hour and a half or so away from Peterson. Just emailed them today and pumps are about 4-5 weeks out from time of order.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My engine builder sealed off the valley and added a fitting just in front of the distributor for a scavenge. He made a pickup that went inside the valley to pick up the oil.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a way to post a picture of my engine setup.
I run a 1471 HH with a setback plate. Back of the blower actually touches the top of the low profile distributor. Not much room around the distributor for an AN fitting into the valley unless maybe a #4. I guess a #4 would be better than none. My water crossover for the water circulation covers up the front China wall of the block.

Bruce Lee Cool