Find
Notify
Tools

Tech Talk Final
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed simple answer is TD /TD doesn't use cross talk

Posts: 11 | Location: new jersey | Registered: November 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not a simple answer because I didn’t mention cross talk

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
"Stage under your own power and take the tree"

That to me says nothing about moving after the tree activates or Auto start or True start or any other timing system software

Bottom line is the race director says it's a valid round win.....that would be Dave Mohn....

Congrats Al ! A win is a win ! Enjoy it....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Bottom line is the race director says it's a valid round win.....that would be Dave Mohn....

Rich, that I agree with but my and numerous other racers I have spoken with believe “take the tree” is too move out of the stage beam and further to that, why is Al’s side of the time slip void of anything other than his car number and dial in?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ed I've seen most racers stage, break the beam under power and back out on bye runs and have done it myself.

I hear what your saying but like I said if Dave Mohn and or the official starter gave it a thumbs up I think it's valid

They would need to say "stage under your own power AND move forward as to start the timing system once the tree is activated" as most people do on a bye....

There has been instances of LBTA I believe where a drivers win was DQ'ed but I'm not sure about that one....

In the old days they made you push the friggen car all the way down track if it broke to get the win !!

First or worst.....Red light is first....not moving is ??

It's amazing how odd things happen and nobody much thinks of the scenario until it does.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rich, I’ve done the same on a bye run and that is what WAS officially required. If that is no longer the case, I’m not aware and if the answer to my question is Dave declared the winner, I’m fine with that though I still want to know what officially is required when both cars are staged. Last, again, why is there nothing on Al’s side of the slip?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sorry I meant true start lol

Posts: 11 | Location: new jersey | Registered: November 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
"Taking the tree" means you were present (staged under power) when the tree fired, period.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1638 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong taking the tree is/was moving out of the stage beam as Rich stated above.

I'll get the official definition from the NHRA.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
About 9 years ago I had an opponent broke bye at a NHRA D2 race. All I did was stage, watch the tree come down, then I backed out. Don't have to roll forward to get the W.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Many believe otherwise and as Rich has stated above, he too believe he was required to roll forward and break the beam or take the tree. He didn't make that rule up and neither did I, it was/is a rule.

That said, I want to be clear, my question here has nothing to do with Al, he was declared the winner. Al and I are friendly and infact were speaking in my pit this past weekend. I just want to know what the NHRA official rule is for this senerio not the official ruling.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
About 9 years ago I had an opponent broke bye at a NHRA D2 race. All I did was stage, watch the tree come down, then I backed out. Don't have to roll forward to get the W.

I have also seen this at NHRA events when someone had a bye in the late rounds and did not want to make a pass. Just backed out and never went forward

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have only made one bye run pass in my life. I usually just stage the car let the tree activate and back up as that is all that is required by NHRA.

From the NHRA rulebook Section 2 page 2 under staging reads
"To be a legitimate race winner, a contestant's vehicle must self start and self stage. This rule also applies to single runs.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 988 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I usually go down the track on my bye runs.Need to pass fuel check and weigh.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
"Taking the tree" means you were present (staged under power) when the tree fired, period.

This is correct. You stage and sit there to “take the tree,” moving forward isn’t necessary.

Now, if you stage then LB3A, you didn’t “take the tree” because the timing system isn’t activated and are therefore DQ’d because as far as the computer is concerned you were never staged.

A few years back two fuel funny cars were both DQ’d in eliminations. I think one was John Force. They both staged, one of them left way early, the other left when he heard the first car leave. They DQ’d both because they both left before the timing system was activated, then changed the rule to make it so the car that left second would be declared the winner in a future similar situation.

With that said, Dave Mohn isn’t perfect. Last year at the bracket finals, deep in motorcycle eliminations, my friend beat a guy who had a N on his bike for no cross talk. The - was not on the scoreboard to indicate cross talk was turned off. The guy staged anyway and “bought the dial” and lost the round. He complained in the tower and Mohn called a rerun. That was a terrible call. My wife was team captain and protested the call to no avail. Track manager was pissed at the call too. Luckily my buddy beat the guy a second time and went on to win the event and we went to Vegas. Mohn later apologized for the bad call which I thought was very upstanding. It all worked out, but what a bad situation at the time.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It was for sure great to be back at the race track. Congrats to AL on the win the only part i didnt understand on the ticket is why there was no reaction even if it was 60 secs on Al side.

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If a driver fails to move out of the beams for what ever reason and sets there long enough the computer operator will restart the timing system for the next pair in line. Most likely in this case since it was the T/D final it may have been the last pair of the day and the computer was reset early due to red light. When the computer is reset before the driver rolls out of the beam, his side of the ticket will not show any information other than car number and dial end. This may be why the ticket looked the way it did.

As far as true start goes my understanding is that if the slower car leaves early the green light is illuminated until the second car's green light is activated without an infraction. At this point the first car's red light will then turn on. Moving out of the beam is not a requirement as long as the green light of the faster car is activated without the tire moving out of the beam early.

David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Ed, as far as your question about why he didn't get any increments on his timeslip I believe the timing system "times out" after something like 32 seconds. I'm not 100% sure on this but I want to say I've heard that before. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post