New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tech Talk Final
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
our own Top38 aka Al Staffieri and topd1332 aka Vince Musolino in the final of Top Dragster at the season opener of the NHRA D1 LODRS at Atco Dragway. Congrats to Al on his win and Vince on the runner up.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
TOP38 won>> ???
Id want a complete teardown of that car lol

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Brutal ^^^^^ for a Monday morning. lol.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Congrats Guys Awesome Job!!!

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 251 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
congrats guys ! Cool

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed! And BTW, Vince has a new nick name,,, just call him JJ! Cool

My car was great all weekend, it ran 6.78 on every pass on Sunday except in the final,,, looks like a UFO somehow got through my fuel filter and got stuck in the needle and seat, and flooded the motor just as I let the button go, so I am sitting on the line dead as Vince blasts down the track, couldn't even look! I know it's over so I try to figure out what the hell happened and restart the motor when one of the Atco guys comes over and tells me I won, Vince was .002 red! How's that for s h I t luck turning to good luck in less that .25 seconds! Both Vince and myself wanted a good race in the final, not the mess that unfolded! Don't want to win or lose like that...

Mikey,

You ain't he only one!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, first congrats again. That said, I don't understand how you were declared the winner being that you didn't break the beam and with True Start in effect, you could have been worse RED. Confused

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Al, first congrats again. That said, I don't understand how you were declared the winner being that you didn't break the beam and with True Start in effect, you could have been worse RED. Confused

I mean, it’s tough to be red when you don’t break the beam at all.

Congrats, Al!!!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The point is with True Start there is no race until both break the beam

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Thanks Ed! And BTW, Vince has a new nick name,,, just call him JJ! Cool

My car was great all weekend, it ran 6.78 on every pass on Sunday except in the final,,, looks like a UFO somehow got through my fuel filter and got stuck in the needle and seat, and flooded the motor just as I let the button go, so I am sitting on the line dead as Vince blasts down the track, couldn't even look! I know it's over so I try to figure out what the hell happened and restart the motor when one of the Atco guys comes over and tells me I won, Vince was .002 red! How's that for s h I t luck turning to good luck in less that .25 seconds! Both Vince and myself wanted a good race in the final, not the mess that unfolded! Don't want to win or lose like that...

Mikey,

You ain't he only one!!!! Big Grin

Luck- You have to be there to collect! Nice job Al!
Does not matter how you get there! Just get there!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4468 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your win.

You in fact break the beam(s) when you are fully staged. Leaving the line my understanding is not required to break the beam.

Soon as you aren't red or broke out in this example you have won.

We seem to use the term break the beam to indicate leaving the line.

Or I misunderstood the scenario that occurred.

Dale

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that's not my understanding and I'm further questioning how true start IF in use plays into it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Stage under your own power, you are eligible to win.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
“Break the beam” happens when you stage because the tire interrupts “breaks” the beam. It is not required to move forward to unbreak the beam to win.

Al fully staged under power and didn’t commit any infractions. Vince committed an infraction with the red light, so Al wins.

True start has nothing to do with it because only one car was red. True start only matters if there are two red lights.

A “pro” like Ed should know this already.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
my fuel filter and got stuck in the needle and seat, and flooded the motor just as I let the button go, so I am sitting on the line dead as Vince blasts down the track,

Whatever AL
An insect got into your wheel counter fuse panel defaulting the counter clock and your tree sensor probably wasnt set on proper phasing cycle not allowing the trans brake sensor to release.
we aint stuped

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I still say you have to "take" the tree. Al restarted and drove down track. The timing system should still be activated and have shown his reaction time and incrementals on the time slip as well should have shown his ET on the board and it did not.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Stage under your own power, you are eligible to win.

This

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
“Break the beam” happens when you stage because the tire interrupts “breaks” the beam. It is not required to move forward to unbreak the beam to win.

Al fully staged under power and didn’t commit any infractions. Vince committed an infraction with the red light, so Al wins.

True start has nothing to do with it because only one car was red. True start only matters if there are two red lights.

A “pro” like Ed should know this already.

And this

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both!

Ed, I get what you're saying about TrueStart, worst red, but I guess the NHRA has something like this from the IHRA rulebook (which probably originated from the NHRA rulebook):

7. Foul start on dual competition run. (Vince)
8. “Breakout” or running under your dial-in on dual competition run.
9. Not crossing the finish line on a dual competition run (Al)

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Congrats Top 38
Always one of the few good guys on DRR, willing to share and help others.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post