DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Vacuum Pump Filling Bottle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum Pump Filling Bottle
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Wallace Cleaver
posted
The end of last season this happened once. Tonight it happened twice. My vacuum pump filled the breather bottle and it sprayed down the motor and front of my car. It happened late in the night when the air was cooler and better. I do a burnout on a rev limiter and I do tend to do an aggressive one. I did not get a chance to watch the gauge, but I don't believe its pulling excessive vacuum. What could be causing it to fill the bottle after just 1 pass? It looks like a mix of alky and oil so I can't say its mostly fuel or mostly oil. Thoughts?

Multi-time First round runner up extraordinaire

Posts: 38 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I know that you said this was after just 1 pass? but I want to double check that you are draining the puke tank after each pass. The humidity can play a big role in how much moisture the vacuum pump is able to pull

We place a sweat band (one like an athlete would wear around their wrist or forearm) around the breather to prevent any spewing if we forget to drain it

Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
My dads car does this once in a while. We have a sock around his breather. Make sure.to.drain it as mentioned, but you can also add a piece of rolled up scotch brite pad up inside the breather to.help stop the filter.getting saturated. Also.double check your vacuum.setting

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
Vacuum leak is first suspect, not draining the puke tank, or oil level is overfull. Could be you've also lost ring seal during that pass.

John Heard
DragStuff.com

Posts: 188 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Moroso sells a black two piece fitting that is mounted in the valve cover, that fitting connects to the suction line leading to the inlet side of the pump. The fitting is designed to draw vacuum but reduce the amount of oil drawn into the inlet side of the pump. Before I installed this ($44.57) fittting from Moroso I also used a athletic wrist band to contain the oil from overflowing out of the puke tank. That did not reduce the amount of oil drawn into the tank it only reduced that amount of oil blowing out of the tank. I still had to drain the tank every two runs, then check the oil level in the pan. The Moroso fitting ended the problem, at most I get a small amount of oil collecting in the puke tank but enough to lubricate the pump. Using the Moroso fitting there is no need to drain the tank until I’ve made at least 15 runs. I drain the tank before each event, never during the race.

Also:

Moroso also sells a 30-0 vacuum gauge (89610) for $32.99 to monitor the amount of vacuum drawn by the pump. Jeg’s sells a similar gauge (41009) for $19.99. A RacePak data recorder can record and store the vacuum amount while it’s difficult, if not impossible, to watch a gauge during a run.

FYI: Everyone I have spoken with recommends not exceeding 14 pounds at full throttle.

Bob

Posts: 3066 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Okay if you are getting that much stuff in your catch can then most likely you have a vacuum leak on the motor.
What that does is allow the air to go through the motor pulling oil with it. When system is right the pump is pulling a vacuum but not much VOLUME of air. Now another possibility which I doubt is the rings could be passing a bunch of air.

Bottom line is too much air going through the vacuum pump system. I had same problem big time and resolved it by sealing motor good. Around distributor, valve covers, crank seals, oil pan, intake and timing cover. Any place air can draw through under a vacuum.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Note, that is same reason I recommend you do not put the safety valve on the motor. Because when it reaches its setting then it opens to allow AIR to draw through motor. Put the valve on the pump.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Something fishy here. Could be the fitting where the vacuum is drawn or ring seal issue. Might want to leak it down to find out. My puke tank will have 2 or 3 DROPS in it after maybe 25 runs or so. Pulling 13" at speed. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll check things over Thursday when I get to the track to prep for the weekend. The car was fast and very consistent all night and ran the same a few weeks ago so I doubt it's a leak, but I'll certainly check it out! I'll let you know if I find something.

Posts: 38 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure you have a leak. When you have an air leak air blows through motor taking oil with it like crazy. Been there done that and made one heck of a mess. Sealed it up better and never have any issues.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I was filling the bottle each pass for a while.

First, I found an air leak at the base of the slip collar distributor. Fixing this helped a good bit but still too much.

Secondly, I turned the vac down to 9-10". This helped more and, while still too much got in the bottle, I can live with it.

Thirdly, I usually only bring this car out to run Super Comp. I decided to bracket race it on the 1/8, and was hardly getting anything in the bottle.

Looks like the #1 issue now is that the heads aren't draining the oil back fast enough.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'll check for the leak first thing. One last question. Any chance doing a longish burnout on the rev limiter could be affecting things as far as this issue goes? Like maybe it's super rich on the limited and it's getting in the oil more at that point?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think the long burnout did it other than a longer time sucking oil into the canister.

If you can find a vacuum pump you will be surprised where you find leaks. I had leaks around timing cover and distributor collar. We put some RTV around the outside of the timing cover once we found the leaks and it took care of most of it. Now I pull 17.5 inches of vacuum. Going to drop it down to around 14 next race as it does not need that much.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Really only two ways to fill the puke tank.

Rattling the rings is one, and a very bad one to do!

The other are vacuum leaks, and they occur EVERYWHERE! A smoke machine is the easiest way to find them. You will be VERY surprised at where these leaks can show-up! The leaks let air go through carrying oil and filling the tank.

The vac regulator in the wrong place can also cause issues.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I went from needing to drain my puke tank every 3 runs, to draining it once every few races by replacing my valve cover gaskets that looked fine. If your fitting is in the front of your valve cover, the pump may sometimes get a big "gulp" of oil if you get on the brakes hard at the end of the run and all of the oil in the valve covers sloshes forward.

What the other guys are saying is exactly right. I deal with this every day.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For a breather tank to have oil in it, you either have a lot of oil up in the valve cover, or you have your fitting positioned incorrectly.

The worst place to fully dedicate the inlet line of your vacuum pump, is in the valve cover. Use the vacuum to your oil pans advantage, and not against it. A vacuum pumps inlet line is no different then a "black hole". If you want your oil to be suspended in your valve cover, then place the fitting "black hole" at your valve cover. If you want your oil to come down, and your valve covers to remain with moderate to slight oil in them, then consider relocating that vacuum to the pan.

Oh no.......did he just say "put the inlet line at the pan" ? "he must be living in a cave, because he sure hasn't witnessed what everyone does, and that's to have the vacuum pumps inlet line at the valve cover. The majority do it, so it must be correct.

" the pan, hell no, then it will really fill my tank up and puke all over"

Really, as in you tried this method?

you know how that say'n goes in business "location, location, location"

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
I tried it on the fuel pump block off on a BBC dry sump engine once. Filled the puke tank very fast. Maybe it would work if you put it in line with a cap like where we put our drain back lines. Never have tried it though, or seen anyone try it.

John Heard
DragStuff.com

Posts: 188 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
tried it on the fuel pump block off on a BBC dry sump engine once. Filled the puke tank very fast.

Did you block off the fuel pump pushrod hole? Did you enlarge the access hole in the block leading to the pan? Did you place the fitting high on the block off plate? Do you click neutral and shut the engine off right after the stripe?

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
After years of experimenting and hearing results from my customers, I gotta say that Strange Magic is the only one who has successfully used the oil pan as the suction point for a vacuum pump on a wet-sump motor. How do you keep the oil away from the suction point? Even if your motor is well-sealed, you have leakage through the rings, Etc. Every engine I've ever seen has some amount of blow-by, so air WILL be moving through the pump, taking oil with it, if oil is present.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you block off the fuel pump pushrod hole? Did you enlarge the access hole in the block leading to the pan? Did you place the fitting high on the block off plate? Do you click neutral and shut the engine off right after the stripe?

No did not block off anything or enlarge anything. Was just experimenting with it. The fitting was towards the top of the plate. This was idling in the garage when it filled the puke tank, after that I aborted that idea.

John Heard
DragStuff.com