DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Garage Floor Epoxy Paints and Coatings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage Floor Epoxy Paints and Coatings
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Joey Anderson
posted
I'm wanting some sort of sealer or epoxy paint to do my floor with for my shop. Has anyone used anything that they've had good luck with?

Posts: 37 | Location: Glennville GA | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You'll get lots of answers but if you want to read till you're blue in the face go over to the garage journal web site. You will see more on floor stuff than you thought possible.

I used to lay ceramic tile as a side job but when people would ask, particularly about doing a shower I would direct them to www.johnbridge.com which is all about tile. The forum there has tons of information about everything concerning tile. Even about using it on your shop floor. LOL

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cashflow,

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I used the two part home kit epoxy (UCoat it), it held up pretty well. One thing to make sure of is to tape a trash bag down on the floor sealed up with tape at all four corners for 48 hrs. If you pull the bag off and there is moisture your going to have problems with getting the epoxy to seal up. If I was to do it again I would either have it stained or I would use some the tiles (like RaceDeck)

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My place is dry and not used much so I got a kit from Lowes and did it myself. Its been there 12--13 years now and still looks pretty good.

Posts: 6191 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used PPG AQUAPON epoxy? I am just starting a new shop build and have been looking for a better coating then I had.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used the kit from Lowes as well and bought extra flakes for the paint. It turned out decent and has held up to all of the traffic. The slicks haven't left marks, yet. The only thing I would've done different would be clear coating after the epoxy was setup. The clear coating looks real nice.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Superpro,

What did you have before?

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Superpro,

What did you have before?

I dont know what was on the floor. The coating was installed prior to my lease of the building. It seemed like alot of chemicals ate into the coating.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Debbie Downer here.
Someone let me know when you find a coating that is impervious to brake clean and brake fluid.

I will then make the investment.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
I think your right Dave. I will end up just using a sealer

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There was a company that advertised that they had coated Jay Leno's garage floor. Lo and behold it didn't last and he ended up putting the plastic tiles on it.

I'm just going to leave mine concrete. Probably should have put a sealer on it but I'm just too lazy to mess with it now.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
IF the lottery lands I plan on tinted and polished concrete. Kind of like Walmart and such use.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post