DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone ever weigh their trailer's tongue weight ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever weigh their trailer's tongue weight ???
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
My tongue weight is 1,100 lbs
dragster backed in,golf cart in back.
tool box and cabinets on street side wall.
30 FT spread axle, 5' tongue

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine has a max much higher then 3000

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
What's the max? Can I crush test it? Lol

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
5000, no thanks Chris

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just blown away at what i'm reading here for the tongue weights. If you care less about yourself, at least care for others on the road. Get your tongue weights in order. It's a safety concern.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know what it "should be" Ideally?

Yeah. 600 min 850 max.

Never tried it? Than try it, your fuel economy will like it and so will the entire tow vehicle.

Duelly, motorhome should not make a difference in your tongue weight decision. Move stuff around in your trailer until you get it.

P.S. even if you have a show hauler, you still should be mindful of your tongue weight.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Most will recommend 9 to 15% of gross weight of loaded trailer.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I wonder if any trailer sales or service's have one of those scales. I'm sure measuring at the ball is the most accurate method but under the jack would be close.

Posts: 1457 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Showhauler with 36 foot stickers will blow you away with amount of tongue weight...Was at goldrush on their tongue scale...they claimed up to 8000 lbs was "normal" for the set up.

I know my tongue weights and brought it to Goldrush's attention...with one dragster pulled in forward and the trailer otherwise empty...tongue weight on their scale was 7800.

Start loading cars and equipment...almost every stacker is over tongue weight and over GVWR of these trailers. The manufacturer knows this, yet keep selling them.

I have had the tongue on trailer rebraced with additional welds (it broke the tongue) and had to rebrace/reweld the hitch on the Motorhome (the hitch has broken as well)...its a mini 5th wheel in a tag scenario as you see in many of these BIG rigs.

What can anyone add from your experiences?

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Showhauler with 36 foot stickers will blow you away with amount of tongue weight...Was at goldrush on their tongue scale...they claimed up to 8000 lbs was "normal" for the set up.

I know my tongue weights and brought it to Goldrush's attention...with one dragster pulled in forward and the trailer otherwise empty...tongue weight on their scale was 7800.

Start loading cars and equipment...almost every stacker is over tongue weight and over GVWR of these trailers. The manufacturer knows this, yet keep selling them.

I have had the tongue on trailer rebraced with additional welds (it broke the tongue) and had to rebrace/reweld the hitch on the Motorhome (the hitch has broken as well)...its a mini 5th wheel in a tag scenario as you see in many of these BIG rigs.

I could add stop winning so much money and your trailer will get lighter. LOL

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Wink

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
LOL on the winning! First world problems!
But I do wonder why they don't install the axles forward further?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:But I do wonder why they don't install the axles forward further?

Although it may seem strange, there is no magic number. The TW needs to be a percentage of the trailer weight - the heavier the trailer, the more tongue weight to stay stable and this becomes more important and more noticeable as the trailer weight approaches the weight of the tow vehicle. Watch the video dragstermike shared a few comments up - not enough TW and the trailer steers the tow vehicle, and that's going to happen regardless of whether it's the little model in the video, a 1500 pickup towing a single door car on an open trailer or a showhauler with 4 cars and 2 golf carts in a stacker.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

I could add stop winning so much money and your trailer will get lighter. LOL

That funny stuff right there.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post