DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Setting and checking carb floats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting and checking carb floats
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
So I have been fight a intermediate issue of my car slowing up .03 out of no where, then it will go back to original et. It normally loses the et from the 330 on. So I have been going over everything and I found a float a little heavy.

New floats weigh 4oz. My rear float was 6oz. I know it can cause a problem of blowing the bowls over but just curious what other issue could show up. I usually set the float heights about .450 (about the size of the bowl head screw) front and rear. Other than the float I went through the fuel system and everything looks clean and seems to be alright.

Just wondering what people thought are on heavy floats and causing et issues.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Should be fat as hell if heavy an blowing over…

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
But I don’t see a NEW float weighing 4oz to begin with

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this^^^

If you want to weigh your floats, pick yourself up an inexpensive gram scale like this

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-G...a-414764383877&psc=1

That said, I have never had a heavy float in over 3 decades in numerous carbs.

As to setting your floats...

-remove the bowls
-invert the bowl(s)
-pass a 7/16" drill bit between the top of the float and the roof of the bowl.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
But I don’t see a NEW float weighing 4oz to begin with

Sorry I wrote that wrong. .4oz and I agree I would think it would have to be fat.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
this^^^

If you want to weigh your floats, pick yourself up an inexpensive gram scale like this

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-G...a-414764383877&psc=1

That said, I have never had a heavy float in over 3 decades in numerous carbs.

As to setting your floats...

-remove the bowls
-invert the bowl(s)
-pass a 7/16" drill bit between the top of the float and the roof of the bowl.

Ed I have only had one heavy float and it was a self inflicted problem. I tried a different way of winterizing the carb. I used marvel oil and the float sucked it up. Carb keep blowing over like crazy. That was dumb on my part.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve never winterized a race carb other than to run it dry of fuel. Then before the start of every season, I tear it down, clean it, install new gaskets and go racing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve never winterized a race carb other than to run it dry of fuel. Then before the start of every season, I tear it down, clean it, install new gaskets and go racing.

That's normally how I do mine too. Thought I would try something different. Lesson learned on that one.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:

An alcohol carb would probably make you think differently. You can do it that way, but it makes the spring cleaning a lot more difficult.

A healthy dose of WD-40 down the choke horns and through the accelerator pumps goes a long way.

I feel like a “fat” issue from fuel running over would be more pronounced early in the run rather than 330 onward.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
nah, never winterized the jr. dragster carb either.