Bracket Talk
Setting and checking carb floats

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/2167078896

June 24, 2022, 08:13 AM
ts393c
Setting and checking carb floats
So I have been fight a intermediate issue of my car slowing up .03 out of no where, then it will go back to original et. It normally loses the et from the 330 on. So I have been going over everything and I found a float a little heavy.

New floats weigh 4oz. My rear float was 6oz. I know it can cause a problem of blowing the bowls over but just curious what other issue could show up. I usually set the float heights about .450 (about the size of the bowl head screw) front and rear. Other than the float I went through the fuel system and everything looks clean and seems to be alright.

Just wondering what people thought are on heavy floats and causing et issues.
June 24, 2022, 10:21 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
Should be fat as hell if heavy an blowing over…
June 24, 2022, 10:22 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
But I don’t see a NEW float weighing 4oz to begin with
June 24, 2022, 10:42 AM
1320racer
this^^^

If you want to weigh your floats, pick yourself up an inexpensive gram scale like this

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-G...a-414764383877&psc=1

That said, I have never had a heavy float in over 3 decades in numerous carbs.

As to setting your floats...

-remove the bowls
-invert the bowl(s)
-pass a 7/16" drill bit between the top of the float and the roof of the bowl.
June 24, 2022, 12:01 PM
ts393c
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
But I don’t see a NEW float weighing 4oz to begin with

Sorry I wrote that wrong. .4oz and I agree I would think it would have to be fat.
June 24, 2022, 12:06 PM
ts393c
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
this^^^

If you want to weigh your floats, pick yourself up an inexpensive gram scale like this

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-G...a-414764383877&psc=1

That said, I have never had a heavy float in over 3 decades in numerous carbs.

As to setting your floats...

-remove the bowls
-invert the bowl(s)
-pass a 7/16" drill bit between the top of the float and the roof of the bowl.

Ed I have only had one heavy float and it was a self inflicted problem. I tried a different way of winterizing the carb. I used marvel oil and the float sucked it up. Carb keep blowing over like crazy. That was dumb on my part.
June 24, 2022, 12:28 PM
1320racer
I’ve never winterized a race carb other than to run it dry of fuel. Then before the start of every season, I tear it down, clean it, install new gaskets and go racing.
June 24, 2022, 01:06 PM
ts393c
quote:
I’ve never winterized a race carb other than to run it dry of fuel. Then before the start of every season, I tear it down, clean it, install new gaskets and go racing.

That's normally how I do mine too. Thought I would try something different. Lesson learned on that one.
June 24, 2022, 10:03 PM
Lenny5160
quote:

An alcohol carb would probably make you think differently. You can do it that way, but it makes the spring cleaning a lot more difficult.

A healthy dose of WD-40 down the choke horns and through the accelerator pumps goes a long way.

I feel like a “fat” issue from fuel running over would be more pronounced early in the run rather than 330 onward.

Tony Leonard
June 25, 2022, 06:10 AM
1320racer
nah, never winterized the jr. dragster carb either.