DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    JW case and bell vs Reid weight wise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JW case and bell vs Reid weight wise
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Having issue with JW case. Plan is to get reid or ati later on. With my setup it has to be 2 piece case so pg will fit Hemi bloak with adapter crapI have JW case with their bell for Hemi. Wondering what weight difference is.I know its good amount,but w/o total disassembly getting exact number little difficult.

In case I do disassemble trans to bare case to fix problem I am having and can weight.Anyone know what Reid or ATI 2 piece weighs,understand probably not hemi bell, but will be in same ballpark.

Not holding up car for swap just getting info,so no replies that I need to get car to track and not worry about it. Will be run with current heavy JW for while before 1300 bucks extra to spend.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
only info I find on web says 22 for one and 24 for case.Noway thats 46 lbs for case and reid is like 29 lbs. Thats freaking bunch of useless weight riding down track ic right.

Anyone have out of cert case they would like to sale?

Posts: 4167 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I do not think your JW bell will fit a ATI or Reid case so you would have buy both.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
/\ true

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I may be wrong but I do not think your JW bell will fit a ATI or Reid case so you would have buy both.

I know you have to buy both.

Reid one piece shows 24lbs. JW case showed 24lbs,JW bell showed 22 lsbs. I also understand that reid one piece is going to be lighter than two pieces. 2piece will still be lot less than jw combo.If Reid 2 piece is 5lbs heaver its still only 34 vs 46 or a lot.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
did find a post on YB that showed 18lbs difference in reid PG and JW PG with similar setups. so 15 to 18 lbs difference. Well worth cost when can get to swap out.

No I don't believe everything I read on YB,but when 3 or 4 have close numbers on answer I figure got to acceptable range.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I can tell you the BTE case works with a Reid Bell. Which I like better than the JW Case/Bell combo. I have both, shorty BTE/Reid for dragster and full JW for the door car.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
both case and bell where deals I ran across and step up from factory case with chevy bell and adapter. Still useable for while.Just wanting to find out how much difference in weight,you know incentive. At 15 to 18 lbs. difference its near top of list for upgrades after trailer is purchased. 18 lb vs 1200(both pieces) is not cheap weight loss but better than a lot of items that moved down list.Plus with what I have in them I should e able to recover cost and deduct that from cost of newer lighter pieces.

Reid case will not work with JW bell which bolt thru pump,why beats me. But case is biggest excessive weight part I think.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
What's the issue you're having?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
issue was the tran brake valve was dragging in threads in case of the JW. Die grinder fixed that. Partly hole off(IMO) and the valve is thicker in that area than others I have. So not problem now.

I will be getting a Reid or ATI 2 piece later on. I know JW is HEAVY and just wanting to know differences in weight.So far all I have found is shipping weights listed,which is half A$$ ball park,but a ball park.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Trans builder on front engine dragster.org chimed in and said he had done a lite weight trans for a guy and case swap shaved 18 lbs off.Guess those shipping weights where closer than I would have thought.