DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Converter recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converter recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Curious as to what everyone is using for a converter. 2000# mono shock dragster. 632 Spreadport 12*. Will mainly run brackets but a little super comp as well. Thanks in Advance

Posts: 1 | Location: Omaha | Registered: August 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

You'll get lots of different answers on this one.

I would call FTI, they are the leader in bracket racing/big $$$ racing converters. Not too bad in .90 racing either, all the 2017 NHRA and IHRA 9.90 and 8.90 world champs use FTI products.

Their customer service is top notch too.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Welcome to the forum!

You'll get lots of different answers on this one.

I would call FTI, they are the leader in bracket racing/big $$$ racing converters. Not too bad in .90 racing either, all the 2017 NHRA and IHRA 9.90 and 8.90 world champs use FTI products.

Their customer service is top notch too.

Call me biased but i think we make some pretty nice transmissions and converters. Big Grin

In all seriousness though if you have any questions or want to talk converters feel free to give us a call at the shop or shoot us a PM here on DRR.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
FTI

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 251 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I just pulled a major name brand converter out that broke and put in a Coan due to several recommendations from guys I race with.

Car picked up .06-.07 in the 1/8 so I am pretty happy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: moparacer,

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My last one I ordered one from Hughes on the recommendation of my transmission builder. I talked to Steve and told him what I had including dyno sheets and what I wanted. He nailed it perfect first time. Plus I have got excellent service from them and highly recommend them.

With that said no matter who you choose if you do not give them good information on horsepower, weight, gear etc then you can not expect them to get converter right.

For me I will continue to run the Hughes converters and I do not mean for that to sound like I am dissing anyone else. I am just saying Hughes has stood out out as exceptional.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Hughes here in our super comp dragster and super gas Camaro. The thing I was most impressed after making the switch to Hughes, was how much quicker they reacted on the pro tree.
We always deal with Kevin, and his customer service has been top notch. I literally have never been treated so well from any other company.
I could go on, and on, and on, about all the things I love about our Hughes converters, but I think you already get the point!!!

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
ABRUZZI...never looked back.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have 2 that run the exact same numbers one is a Gregg Slack the other is a FTI. The slack stays in the car and it is a deadly piece. The FTI is a great converter also though. There are a lot of good company’s out there but it comes down to customer service and the 2 I mentioned have great service before and after the sale. Plus slack is only about a hour from my house.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
quote:
about a hour from my house.

Sometimes this is a big issue if you need turnaround quickly. Might consider in your evaluation of vendors.

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FTI

Been using FTI for years. Great customer service and awesome products!

Michael K Smith

Posts: 4 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: January 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
GER

Posts: 32 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FTI was deadly consistent and also 10th and a half slower than my ATI. ATI was consistent so for what its worth I'm sticking with my ATI .

Posts: 2 | Location: florida | Registered: December 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Hughes is very good at what they do.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Eddie at Select, smaller CO, better personnel service.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
FTI hands down

Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
Select here. Still trying to figure it out. Car reacts to air changes different than I have ever seen. Also the loosest converter I have ever run. When I got it, my thought process was Ed was a division 1 races and I could walk over and talk to him when needed.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Greg Slack

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FTI

In one year, One NHRA Divisional win, one NHRA Divisional runner-up, and one NHRA National event win.
Sixty foot times, .975 - .985. Great customer service. Have run Coan also , great service too.

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hughes.

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post