DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster headers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster headers
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
We have been using the DYNATECH downswept headers for many years.
They have been good.
Really like the split flange.

Considering a new set.

Opinions on what is available today, Anything better overall than the Dynatech.

Thanks in advance for opinions and experiences.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Define better!

Looks are based on your personnel taste.
They are certainly heavy headers so swapping may have a performance increase just based on weight!
Performance depends on what you got vs what you need for your combo.

Personally I feel stainless is worth the added dollars as plain steel rusts especially on the inside no matter if its coated or not.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Look at Dan Page Race Cars, he builds a nice set of stainless steel downswept dragster headers.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
I just bought a set of Fab Shop stainless headers, they are beautiful.
I cant say if they are any faster as we are not able to run yet.
Around 11 LBS lighter.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 251 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Fab Shop has been a long time supporter of this forum. My personal opinion is that you won't find a nicer set of dragster headers for the money.

Give Mike a call!

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Upswepts FTW!!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
KOOKS...

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Happy with my stainless works so far.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeB4963:
Anything better overall than the Dynatech.

No

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I ran the dynatech for years...nice header. Have changed to the Fab shops and like them as well.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Just put a new set of Dynatech on my digger...Last set started rusting out on the inside....Of course they were more than 15 years old........

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Just put a new set of Dynatech on my digger...Last set started rusting out on the inside....Of course they were more than 15 years old........

I have Stainless downswept Fabshop's on my car and will probably always have them unless I need a different size. No dragster header really has more power advantage over another, it comes down to look, style (up or down swept), materials and finish. My fabshops came polished and other than just a light polish every season to keep them looking good, they are still shining very nice. I know guys who also have the chrome as well as black coating and they hold up very well.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have Kooks stainless on my car and will never have anything but stainless and no coating either. Laying is a pain if you ever have to do a repair and every set of coated headers I ever had rotted out from inside out.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Wed, 13 May 2020 13:50:40 GMT-0700', 'May 13, 2020 03:50 PM')+'');May 13, 2020 03:50 PMMay 13, 2020 03:50 PMHide PostFab Shop has been a long time supporter of this forum. My personal opinion is that you won't find a nicer set of dragster headers for the money.

Thanks for the FABSHOP photos. They do build very nice headers.

Also thanks to all that replied. The DYNATECHS have been good, and not rusted. Just a little old and beat up from the rocks off of the tires.

Considering new or have these coated. I really like the look of the dark coated FABSHOP set.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the FABSHOP photos. They do build very nice headers.

Also thanks to all that replied. The DYNATECHS have been good, and not rusted. Just a little old and beat up from the rocks off of the tires.

Considering new or have these coated. I really like the look of the dark coated FABSHOP set.

Mine took quite a bit of abuse....dumb mistake by me, I lowered the car and had a collector catch a jack stand on the way down....bent the header up a little but other than that it didn't affect it. I was the second owner of the headers I had, the previous owner had ran them for a few years before I got them. The rust was right at the bend past the exhaust port, and it wasn't bad, but there was some flaking. The headers were coated. I can't complain, I had paid $400 for them and I feel I more than got my money's worth. I ended up selling them with both the collectors and the collector mufflers they had when I bought them for $700, which went towards the new set. I'm guessing the new ones are going to last longer than me, so I consider them a good investment. I was looking at the fab shop stuff, and asked for a quote, but when I was told six to 8 weeks, and $1800, I wasn't so enthusiastic. Also asked about performance difference over the dynatechs, and was told not much.....My cost on the dynatechs was $600 cheaper than fab shop, and I had them in three days.....no brainer....Fab Shop does make some nice parts. Fit and finish are excellent. But unless they can guarantee they will outperform what I have substantially enough to warrant the extra cash, I'll stick with what I have and use that money for more important stuff.....

Not dinging them at all, just can't see them being that much better. There was one last thing though. A few of my other racing buddies that have ran them complained of constant cracking of the tubes due to the thin material....My dynatechs can take a hammer blow and not deform....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend any of the headers from Pro-Fab in mooresville. They may be a bit pricey, but the quality of the materials and welds are second to none. Andrew there is as nice as it gets and will bend over backwards to get you what you need as fast as possible. Last 2 sets of headers (downswepts for my 598" and zoomies for my procharged 540") were on the shelf ready to ship.

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend any of the headers from Pro-Fab in mooresville. They may be a bit pricey, but the quality of the materials and welds are second to none. Andrew there is as nice as it gets and will bend over backwards to get you what you need as fast as possible. Last 2 sets of headers (downswepts for my 598" and zoomies for my procharged 540") were on the shelf ready to ship.

Wow I thought the $1800 for Fab Shops was a chunk of change...these start at $2600 Eek

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not dinging them at all, just can't see them being that much better. There was one last thing though. A few of my other racing buddies that have ran them complained of constant cracking of the tubes due to the thin material....My dynatechs can take a hammer blow and not deform....

Thanks Mark

We had a set of the old upswept with mufflers back when they were THE stuff. Won't mention the brand. But had nothing but trouble with them cracking at the flange.

What I like about the Dynatechs is the extra collar at the flange, I am convinced this is a key part of the way they last at that point. Also the split flange is important too.

Lots to look at and consider. A number of really nice headers available, many of them quite pricey. And as always I am budget minded.

I really wish the Dynatech offered off the shelf in black coated. That would make my decision much easier. I guess I will contact them and see if that's possible.

Ours has not shown any rust issues, I guess I should take a closer look.

Thanks for your response.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
just have your current headers coated black for about $300

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Mark

We had a set of the old upswept with mufflers back when they were THE stuff. Won't mention the brand. But had nothing but trouble with them cracking at the flange.

What I like about the Dynatechs is the extra collar at the flange, I am convinced this is a key part of the way they last at that point. Also the split flange is important too.

Lots to look at and consider. A number of really nice headers available, many of them quite pricey. And as always I am budget minded.

I really wish the Dynatech offered off the shelf in black coated. That would make my decision much easier. I guess I will contact them and see if that's possible.

Ours has not shown any rust issues, I guess I should take a closer look.

Thanks for your response.

You can order any of their headers uncoated and have them done yourself like Ed mentioned. I ordered merge collectors but they weren't offered with o2 bungs. So I ordered them painted so I could weld them on without having to worry about getting them recoated. I just repainted them black and installed them. I kinda like the look of the black collectors on the coated headers actually.....probably going to leave it, just get them coated at a later date.

Mark Goulette