DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster headers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster headers
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ordered a set of Fab Shop TD headers. Picked up .4 and 3-4 mph over Dynatech. I bought them without all of the extras, coated in black and paid $1800 shipped. Very high quality.

Posts: 5 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
posted May 15, 2020 10:54 AM Hide Post

just have your current headers coated black for about $300

I had a request in for info on coating from a DFW area shop recently. The guy never got back to me.
That still is an option.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Several yrs ago I ran a set of Hooker upswepts and a set of Fabshops back to back within 30 minutes and seen .00x diff. Couple yrs ago I ran same Fabshops and a set of Kooks back to back quickly and seen .00x difference again. I dont think there is a whole lot of E.T. in any of them.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sinbad:
I ordered a set of Fab Shop TD headers. Picked up .4 and 3-4 mph over Dynatech. I bought them without all of the extras, coated in black and paid $1800 shipped. Very high quality.

I'm curious, what were the differences in the headers as far as the collector size and type? Tubing size? Most people I know that have switched gained very little or nothing between brands. Unless the headers they had before were just completely wrong for the combo.

As I stated before, not dinging anybody. Fab Shop makes some damned nice parts. Just not seeing how they can make that much of a difference without something else being an issue.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I sure miss the chrome headers I had on the car I wrecked, they were so easy to keep clean. Stainless seems to be the one of choice and that is what I have now and do not like them.

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

And I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night too!
Sorry but could resist. If you really picked up that much they the old set was so far out in left field you'd have to be standing on the football field. I don't care who built them.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several yrs ago I ran a set of Hooker upswepts and a set of Fabshops back to back within 30 minutes and seen .00x diff. Couple yrs ago I ran same Fabshops and a set of Kooks back to back quickly and seen .00x difference again. I dont think there is a whole lot of E.T. in any of them

I am sure this is the case when comparing all the headers designed for the particular application.

I mostly was looking for peoples experience with quality of the build and the long term durability.

My experience with the DYNATECH header has been good.

A number of the brands look good, a number of them would work for me.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chrome Dynatechs here . 10 years no cracks and they still look great. my buddies fabshop are pretty and light but have been welded on a few times

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swingarm:
Chrome Dynatechs here . 10 years no cracks and they still look great. my buddies fabshop are pretty and light but have been welded on a few times

To be honest, I've only seen fabshops get welded on after they were used to support the weight of the car or to be as jacking points to lift one side (no lie, watched someone do it once).

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swingarm:

Curious, were yer buddies Fabshops stainless or not?

I do like the double wall thickness at the port area of the Dynatechs…

For the record, stainless Fabshop on our dragster five seasons without issue...

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Stainless works has the double wall at the flange. They are hard to beat at $1218 from summit pro shop for non step headers

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
His fabshop- are not stainless and are chrome. cracks are on 3 tubes right at flange. 2 tubes on one side and 1 on other side. Cant believe the weight of them compared to my dynatechs. I think the port gusset really helps the dynatechs

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:

I ordered merge collectors but they weren't offered with o2 bungs.

That's because header builders know that you shouldn't put O2 sensors in the collector. It's better to have accurate readings in one tube than it is to have useless garbage in the collector.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
That's because header builders know that you shouldn't put O2 sensors in the collector. It's better to have accurate readings in one tube than it is to have useless garbage in the collector.

True, but I'm not running 8 o2 sensors, and I'm not using them to tune. I have them there to see where the averages are at after it's tuned.

And Dynatech does put them in the collectors, they just don't offer them in the merged collectors that I'm currently running....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:

I ordered merge collectors but they weren't offered with o2 bungs.

There is nothing wrong with an O2 in the collector. Ya, having one in each pipe is better but it's not free! Once the engine rpm gets up there, in the racing ranges, the O2 readings are helpful when there is one in the collector. This info and looking at plugs will provide a good idea of what's going on!

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agreed, no need for 8 O2 sensors for what we do.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Sorry but could resist. If you really picked up that much they the old set was so far out in left field you'd have to be standing on the football field. I don't care who built them.

And your English sucks!
Sorry but I couldn't resist.

Posts: 5 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

And your English sucks!
Sorry but I couldn't resist.

First it wasn't my English, it's my typing! But that said, I AIN'T NO ENGLISH EXPERT EITHER!

Back at ya! Wink