DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Stainless braided brake hoses vs. common rubber brake hoses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless braided brake hoses vs. common rubber brake hoses
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Has anyone replaced their ordinary rubber brake caliper hoses with stainless-steel braided units, and noticed any improvement in their brake pedal?

I have converted my S-10 race truck to manual brakes, and at once installed oversize brake calipers hoping to get better clamping with less line pressure.

The new front metric calipers should have 2.75" pistons. The 2.5" metric rebuilt stock-type front calipers were moved to the rear axle to replace a pair of troublesome Eldorado calipers.

The pedal now is not as good as I'd hoped for, although if I pump it a couple times and push pretty hard I can get about 900 PSI in the front brake circuit.
I have a brake pressure gauge permanently mounted under the hood in the front brake line.

I "think" I have all of the air bled from the system and wonder if those fairly-new stock rubber hoses are allowing too much 'compliance'. The pedal firms up some when I clamp off the chassis-to-axle hose.

A slightly larger brake master cylinder may be in my future; perhaps a Mopar unit like suggested by Ed and Black&Blue.

I just can't afford a complete, new system from Wilwood or others.

Thanks!
Troy

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bad,

In my experience, the factory type hoses are completely acceptable and I install them when ever possible. Consider all the factory type hoses in street service and the good brakes they provide.

You are on the track of the problem by clamping off the rear calipers. Something is amiss other than the hoses.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thought, are the rear calipers mounted so that the bleeder is straight up?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
with the bigger pistons you will probably need to change to a master cylinder with a bigger piston to get the feel you want.You are correct that bigger caliper pistons equal more clamping force with less pressure.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No issue using the stock rubber hoses. Made thousands of passes in my Chevelle with those lines.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Back to original question, yes the SS hoses will flex less and firm up the pedal. Larger MC bore, ;ess pressure more volume. Larger caliper piston surface are requires more volume but increases clamping pressure.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellas. As a lark, I'm installing SS hoses on my rear calipers to see if I can tell any difference. I get mixed reviews, but.....

Question though; can the SS hoses be safely pinched off for diagnostic purposes?

Cheers,
Troy

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Larry, the calipers are mounted so the bleeders are pretty well on top. I do remove them from the brackets though and point them more 'up' though to try to get every last bubble out.
Thx
T.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you mean can you pinch the hose shut absolutely not. If they are teflon lined stainless hose you are taking a chance on damaging the hose.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't clamp or pinch any brake hose to close it off

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind that when they fail/malfunction, it's usually from collapsing, not bursting. If the hose inside the braid isn't any different than the old stocker type, all you're likely getting is bling.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just replaced the front rubber lines on my car when I rebuilt my Aerospace Component calipers over the winter. The outter rubber was cracking and were on the car when we bought it. Replaced with Wilwood stainless lines and definitely noticed a difference in pedal feel right away.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post