DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Profiler 375’s or Brodix BB3-xtra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Profiler 375’s or Brodix BB3-xtra
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted
Currently have a 09 dragster with 565. Brodix BB2-xtra. Ron’s terminator. Car runs high 4.70’s to low 4.80’s. Thinking about selling the heads and upgrading over the winter. Current intake is BM-2017. Just looking for input and what you guys think may be the better way to go.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak for the Profilers but I have Brodix CNC 3 xtra. I can’t see that you would gain much.

I would save more money and do the SR-20 thing. I realize it’s a considerable expense.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Racetech weighs 1975 and with a 565 and as cast 3X ovals with some modest port work and a Terminator ran a best of some low 4.70's in good air.

7.45 179+ 1/4

I agree that you wont pick up much and a 20 degree head is a better option even though you have to change a lot more parts.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Problem with the Sr20 is I want to keep running the alcohol injection. I know alot of people running those heads but none of them is running alcohol

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak for the 3x ovals but I’ve had the 375 profilers on a 582 and there as good as the 383 head hunters.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Yeah. A friend has the Profilers on a 582 2012 Miller car. Alcohol carb. He has been 4.59 in great air. Mostly runs low 60’s

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I put the 375 cnc Profilers on my blown TD motor, very nice heads with great flow numbers. I will say it took a ton of grinding to get the push rods to clear you will also need to drill and tap the head and run some oil return lines to the pan, the oil return is limited but mainly on the driver side head. hope that helps

Posts: 2401 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I dont think the money you will spend is worth the gain in ET you will get. Everyone can spend their money how they want.... but to me this would be a waste

Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think as racerdude said the money you spend won't be worth the ET gain you get.

With that said, if you're looking for a little more you should be able to find some in the combination you have possibly through a cam and or converter change. My 555 with BMF 350 heads has been a best of 7.34/181, 4.64/148. My wife's 540 with Dart 355 CNC heads has been 7.45/179. Both with terminators in dragsters.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
sell the engine and build a bigger built with better heads.

Posts: 32 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
A few years ago we sold the hand-ported Dart 325s that were on our injected 565 and replaced them with the 375 Pro-Filers. It was worth 30 hp on the dyno. Didn't change anything else.

I'd agree that it wouldn't be worth the swap. I've always found small heads to ET pretty well.

I have the Pro-Filers on a 632 now. This upcoming weekend will be my first time running it wide open, but it's been 182 in Super Comp trim.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the info. When you think about how much you spend to try and pickup 1-2 tenths it does seem like alot

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MorgretNation:
Problem with the Sr20 is I want to keep running the alcohol injection. I know alot of people running those heads but none of them is running alcohol

Not that the head change will be a life changer but I'm just curious as to what makes you think you can't run the terminator with the SRs?

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:

Not that the head change will be a life changer but I'm just curious as to what makes you think you can't run the terminator with the SRs?

I've heard, and read a bunch of people say SR20's won't work with alky. I suspect several factors are at play but in my simple mind the super high flowing intake port, small chamber, small exhaust valve, and exhaust ports that only flow ~65% of the intake result in an alky fueled engine choking on it's own exhaust. The cam "everyone runs" would result in the exhaust valve opening long before combustion events "wanted" the valve to open. Opening the exhaust valve later may help, but I wonder if there's simply not enough exhaust port to go with the intake side of those heads. Thoughts? If anyone could make these heads "work" with alky I suspect it would be you, or someone like you with lots of alky experience.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
For decades I have heard stories about this head or that can't be run with alcohol.
The funny thing is that the story generally comes from a gasoline carb guy and more often than not they have never touched alcohol much less injection. I have come to believe it's an urban legend that will not die.

For that matter the heads available today with huge ports and volumes for SBCs would get crucified as little as 10 years ago. Whodathunk?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dave Koehler,

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
For decades I have heard stories about this head or that can't be run with alcohol.
The funny thing is that the story generally comes from a gasoline carb guy and more often than not they have never touched alcohol much less injection. I have come to believe it's an urban legend that will not die.

For that matter the heads available to today with huge ports and volumes for SBCs would get crucified as little as 10 years ago. Whodathunk?

Amen Dave!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Running alky in a high HP/CID application is much easier with injection vs a carb due to the fact you MFI can supply both quality and quantity at the same time. Carbs have a tougher time doing both. Since we are talking Comp/PS here there are no magical parts that alky needs vs gas but when running some heads such as 12 degree BC and the SR/Pro 20 heads also fall into this area, some chamber mods are required. I number of years back James Monroe built a motor, not sure what size, in the 598 range, with 12 degree Profiler BC heads using a Ron's terminator and it ran great!!!!

So there is no reason you can't use a set of SR20 or Pro 20 heads and use alky!

About 6 or so years ago I ran a 565 with Brodix HH's (383's) with a Terminator setup. Ran it in a 1925 lbs RED and it ran 4.50's in good air but mostly 60's using a soft hit 8" converter! No magical alky cam was used in this combo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I never leaned on my 565 since I did not have an advanced ET license.

I was doing everything I could to stay above 7.50 in fast air and it still went faster a few times.

That was with a 2100 Terminator and small intake port 3 x ovals.....a very modest shelf grind cam and 7400 rpm max with a 9" spragless converter and a 4.10 gear with 33.5 tires...

Once I went back to a gas 1050 I ran almost the same ET and MPH in good spring air....very close

Slower 60' as expected but overall not really much slower than the Terminator.....

Bracket racing the gas 1050 was and is very consistant......probably not much different than the Terminator and alky....

I have seen some real strong SR-20 headed engines lately. Makes me want one.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Maybe the alky carb is where all this "won't work" stems from. I would tend to agree with that.

I have only seen one that actually worked like it should but it was a one off, custom built piece. This thing was huge making a dominator look like a 4150. Needed a custom manifold also. I wish I could remember the guy's name. This was back in the 90s and he was on a quest to be the quickest single 4bbl IHRA top sportsman car. He did achieve that for a while.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

I have seen some real strong SR-20 headed engines lately. Makes me want one.....

I have one now, Dart's version - Pro20's. 632 single race gas carb has run 6.76 and 197 plus at 1840 lbs. Great combo. This motor is a good 25 pounds lighter than my old 12 degree 632 and runs the same!

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post