DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Beadlock wheels .......... Single / Double ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beadlock wheels .......... Single / Double ???
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
Buying a set of wheels for our new project and I'm kinda stumped why so many people buy single beadlocks ??? Is it just a looks/cost thing or is there any benefit other than caliper clearance ???

I would assume clamping one side of the bead can't be healthy for a tire can it ??? Any tire I've ever had, no matter how I prepped it has always spun a little on the rim for a few hits then stays put, Wont singles screw up a tire ???

Also ……… Do double beadlocks help or hurt tire life ?? I've heard both, but I cant see how it can hurt.

Before I order the wheels, lets hear the opinion

Thanks !!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
If you can fit a double, I would go double... I've seen singles on cars that can't fit double around brake caliper, but I would think the nice part with the single is that you can probably still mount your own tires.

I would say that doubles help life by keeping sidewall more stable, which also helps with down track stability.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well I usually get a lot of life out of my tires and when I got my new ride out couple years ago it had double bead locks and I still get plenty of tire life. Maybe it just because I don’t just slap new tires on every 125 runs, don’t have that type of coin laying around.
I wouldn’t do anything but double myself.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Buying a set of wheels for our new project and I'm kinda stumped why so many people buy single beadlocks ??? Is it just a looks/cost thing or is there any benefit other than caliper clearance ???

I would assume clamping one side of the bead can't be healthy for a tire can it ??? Any tire I've ever had, no matter how I prepped it has always spun a little on the rim for a few hits then stays put, Wont singles screw up a tire ???

Also ……… Do double beadlocks help or hurt tire life ?? I've heard both, but I cant see how it can hurt.

Before I order the wheels, lets hear the opinion

Thanks !!!

The back spacing / width, is the determining factor single or double.

This is a 10" with 6" back space. The outside of the sidewall takes the majority of the abuse.

The bead lock levels the outer to the inner/ w single outer bead lock.

Single bead lock with tubes 1.27 60 ft N/A 23 sbc
3200 lb car 10 x 28 tire.

Nothing but good will come about with bead locks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I went with doubles this year on my half back project. I can tell you that the calipers are SUPER close <.090 from what I can see. Havent done a final assembly yet. Just mock up.

I will likely mill the calipers to create some additional to make getting the wheels on and off a little easier. I can already see the inner getting all banged up - which wont make me happy.

Put the tires on the wheel with ease however. That is nice. But I own a tire machine and computer balancer at the house - so it wasnt a big deal before.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Last year I sent my 15x14 -4”BS Bogarts to Neil & Parks to have DBL installed after asking here. The improvement in how the car drives and handles was noticeable. Clears the MW calipers no problem.

32 x 14 tires install by hand in less than a minute without spoons. 101 runs on new MT now and should go another 100+ given the hole depths. Sidewalls and 60' look good.

Posts: 2440 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Last year I sent my 15x14 -4”BS Bogarts to Neil & Parks to have DBL installed after asking here. The improvement in how the car drives and handles was noticeable. Clears the MW calipers no problem.

32 x 14 tires install by hand in less than a minute without spoons. 101 runs on new MT now and should go another 100+ given the hole depths. Sidewalls and 60' look good.

I agree, I think beads keep the tire competitive, longer. According to tickets, same as tubes.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies

I kinda figured double was the way to go, grab your ankles now and never look back. Gonna go with RC component wheels, rears are gonna be 15x12 w/ 4" bs.
Using Strange brakes, hope the caliper clears lol

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They should be able to give you a minimal ID for the inside for caliper clearance. That being said we have singles on ours and see no diff in slick wear mid 9x 2800lb S-10 just makes it easier to change tires.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
RC Components say 13.125" across the wheel, my measurement from axle centerline to highest point on caliper is roughly 6.5". It's gonna be close, but I'm sure they all are. Looks like plenty on the caliper to mill if need be.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
My Weld 16" are real close, never touched.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
FYI, for those wanting to run a 15" bead lock wheel, often times the caliper doesn't clear the beadlock. Be advised that Mark Williams sells a rear brake kit #71290 that is the fix providing you have no less than 13 1/4" diameter on the backside of the wheel measuring across the wheel from bead lock to bead lock. This rear brake kit comes complete with rotors/hats, calipers, caliper brackets and pads. The rotors measure 11 3/8" diameter instead of MW's standard 11 3/4", the caliper/axle retention brackets are 3/8" smaller/shorter and the calipers and brake pads are clearance too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post