DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    GRID Shift Output Switch Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GRID Shift Output Switch Issue
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
We are having an issue with erratic shift RPM when using the GRID's output switch. I have tried having the window set low to high and high to low to attempt both modes utilized by the GRID, but the engine is not shifting accurately.

Shifting on time using the delay box, it shifts at the same time every time, but the RPM is different. Looking for suggestions.

Shifter is B&M Pro Bandit, using their CO2 solenoid/cylinder combination.

First 2 screenshots are in High -> low switch mode, the rest are low -> high switch mode.

Is this an issue where the GRID is unable to account for the slew rate?

Differences from shift solenoid activated to actual shift RPM:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magnethead,

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
When I tried to shift on time with the Grid it was always erratic and I could never figure out why so I just gave up and went back to shifting on time with the delay box. When I used an RPM shifter it was very consistent. So there is/or was something going on with the Grid and shifting on RPM’s, at least with my set up.
If your delay box is causing the shift to happen at different RPM’s then you have something else going on either with tire spin or in the tranny. My time shift from the box never varies more than 50 RPM’s unless I spin the tires.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Shifting on time with the delay box is fairly consistent, within 50 rpm like you said if air stays consistant but will move a bunch with big weather swings

Posts: 2416 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’d like to view all 13 .dqi files from Grid that you have posted pictures of. I’ll PM you where to send them for my opinion if you’re interested.

From these .dqi file I can extract the .mff program and give you my opinion on what you programmed Grid to do, and what the results are imho.

The photos you posted from Grid are skewed. None are zeroed to launch. None are expanded to correctly determine the exact activation rpm’s.

Somehow you determined that the Output Switch is supposed to be used for shifting. This shifting function can be better accomplished using the Shift Light Output also.

When you programed the shift rpm to activate at, and when the shift is completed can and will be dramatically different. BUT, the shift completion should be very close (within 25 rpm between runs) if the mechanicals are working correctly.

Posts: 2452 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post