DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Eating transmission bands
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating transmission bands
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted
So ran my trans for two seasons in Top Dragster but had to tear it down and send it off for recertification. Freshened it and back together with a larger blower. Took it out first time and destroyed the band so bad it ate the drum and smoked the clutches. Pulled apart, new drum, clutches, and band. Cleaned everything out, flushed the cooler, had come mverter flushed by reputable trans company. Back together and first pass did the same thing. Had 225 lbs of PSI, only got to 180 degrees. Not sure what the problem is, converter is spragless so don’t think it can be in there. Both times brake set, as soon as it released felt like it blew the tires off but no tire spin...just band eating slip.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Have the Sonnax servo on that. Corrects Pin Bias as you know.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the band wont hold the drum if it is trying to turn,could be valve body related or shifter alignment.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
Nemo,
With the power level you are making now,you need to raise the line pressure in the trans to 275 psi and Do Not use a wide band.But use a good used band from a OEM GM core,and 72 in pounds and back off 3.5 turns. It would not hurt while the trans is out to up grade to the Sonnax servo kit.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Who made the band you used?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Have the sonnax servo kit, it was set 72 inch pounds and 3.5 turns. FTI standard width band, fti valve body, shifter is aligned in 1st and 2nd.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Give Greg a call or email, he knows what to do to fix it. I've got plenty of 3.80-3.70 passes on mine with no issues.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Why not the wide band? I stepped up to the Sonnax wide Kevlar band when I put the blower motor in. Also have the Sonnex bias servo

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I had used the wide band before with no problems (although that was 17 lbs of Boost instead of the 24+ now), last time I ordered parts FTI said they had no wide bands available due to some material problems but they had a standard width pro-mod band they recommended. Don’t think it’s a band problem, servo is good, has to be a pressure problem just can’t figure out why. Only change I made was a different converter but it’s spragless so cant think of anything in there that would do this. Checked all passages after last one so don’t think I have a obstruction...once I can see a material problem but twice back to back I have something happening I’m missing.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ive seen an issue where a servo was hanging up and not releasing properly. Same symptons was burning bands and clutches up in 1 or 2 runs. We went back to just a standard dual ring servo and never had the issue again.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
keith do you air check the high and servo systems when apart

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I was having similar issue, finally took apart the sonnax servo deal, and it was full of tranny much that was causing the piston to stick in the servo housing. cleaned it out, and re lubed everything and been good since. I have the older Red version of the sonnax servo.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
It may be a gasket on the valve body issue, even if it only has one now,use a gasket on each side of the plate.it must be sending some amount of pressure to high while in first

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not an expert but: possibly a timing problem? Spring pressure in clutch packs not synchronizing properly with band apply/release?

Posts: 842 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I do air check, apply and release was good. I will have the VB apart so I will donthe gasket thing.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i also think you need more pressure,i dont think main line pressure is causing your problem.if you do go up on pressure and go to 275 i recommend the sonnax green spring and or the 28821-10K servo kit.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I dropped it off at a local trans guy that builds powerglides for tons of fast cars to give it a look over and see what, if anything I’m Missing. He talked like he may throw another valve body and pump on it just to make sure it’s fixed. Going to send the converter back to get looked at, bad thing is topeka is two weeks so hoping I can get it back in time...otherwise may need a rental converter for the National Smile

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i here you on the time thing i waited untill today to find a servo issue in mine.good luck
i dont think the convertor could have anything to do with it

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Nemo, Give me a call tomorrow and lets go over a few things for your builder to look for. 13867365816

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post