DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Having a hard time balancing slicks.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having a hard time balancing slicks.....
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hoosier 28 x 8 x 15 bias ply..... the tire wants almost a pound of weight 12.5 OZ. total. Clocked the tire on the rim and still 6-7 OZ per side. What is up with that? Are Goodyears easier to balance than Hoosiers or Mickey T?

Posts: 77 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rotate the tire on the rim so the yellow or white paint spot on the sidewall is at the valve stem

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
no, they all can be like that. With that being said, MT guaranties if their tires take more then 1% of the tires weight to balance they will replace them. This year is the first time I have ever had an issue with a vibration due to a slick. One took 15.5oz the other 7.5, 5oz is 1% of this application. MT came good for it. For what its worth, I have put that much on in the past with no issue. GY says whatever it takes, not sure on Hoosier, never looked it up.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rotate the tire on the rim so the yellow or white paint spot on the sidewall is at the valve stem

This is something I've always done.

What wheel and how are you trying to balance it?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Aluminum wheel that has no issues. Dynamic spin balancer machine. I called Hoosier and they said that as long as it balances it's OK. They said all their balancing is done on a bubble balancer....STATIC balance.

Posts: 77 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That is not true

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 62Galaxie:
Hoosier 28 x 8 x 15 bias ply..... the tire wants almost a pound of weight 12.5 OZ. total. Clocked the tire on the rim and still 6-7 OZ per side. What is up with that?

6-7 oz is a problem… Seriously ???

I use an inexpensive bubble balancer and had as much as 20 oz on a rim to get a 32x14 balanced. Was fine for the tire duration. I’ve also had tires go out of balance 40 -60 runs after new. Just adjust the weights and all is fine. In the water box in high gear at 7000 rpm I can tell if they are good after initial balance.

I don’t think Hoosier or MT are any different in balancing. I’ve had both brands out by as much as 16 oz or more. Balance them and run em.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Dynamic balancing might give you a false reading if the wheels need to be centered by the lugs with an adapter. Bubble balancer works just fine for MT and Hoosier when they have their trailers at big events so it works just fine for me.
If you can take the tire off of the wheel and see how the wheel is on a bubble balancer or spin just the wheel and see how straight it is.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I just balanced a new set of 18700 last week... I noticed they did take more weight than usual but not like what you're talking about.... like 2 to 2.5 strips of weight instead of 1 to 1.5 (I forget how many ounces each strip is). Ran the car this past weekend and they were fine, and that's with the same 50 year old bubble balancer I bought used about 20 years ago. An old timer once told me to put the 'S' in Hoosier on the valve stem (either 'S') and they will take less weight, and it always seems to work, and it appeals to my OCD when the 'Hoosier' is lined up on both tires when they are on the car.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post