DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    M/T tire recommendation....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M/T tire recommendation....
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted
...for a 4.50 swingarm dragster, 15" wheel, 4.10 gear. 1.80 low, RM583 12*.

I'll get 16" wheels if I have too, but already have 2 sets of 15's. Suggestions for Mickeys only please

Posts: 51 | Location: Rifle Colorado | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
John,

I ran the 33x16.5x15S tire 3084S which is their stiff sidewall tire. Since your car has more weight on the nose they might work great, I’m going to try a Hoosier that my engine builder is recommending.

As the track picks up I’m getting a random red light and I need to get that stopped. I’m thinking the car is picking them up instead of rolling forward. With your short car they might work great. Good luck, see you in June.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
3084S

Ive had a set of the newish 3080's on my car for two races so far but I'm only a 4.80 car. They are the same X8 compound as the 3191 little bubba.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You need 16” wheels PERIOD....

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
As said, the 3084s is the best tire MT has for that wheel and combo. It'll work well. 16" wheel tires would be preferred but may not be better.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Vern, they're not for the Landshark.
I bought an older long car, 235"
Jerry Fritz from a friend. Great car with a very low run 1200hp RM. Ran it in Vegas over Thanksgiving and it tries to shake the current Goodyear 2533's. Im considering swapping the 3183's from the Landshark onto it,
but the shark is so damn good as it is,
I hate to change it...my wife licensed in the shark in August and kicked laid claim to it for now. Thats why I bought another car Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
John,

I ran the 33x16.5x15S tire 3084S which is their stiff sidewall tire. Since your car has more weight on the nose they might work great, I’m going to try a Hoosier that my engine builder is recommending.

As the track picks up I’m getting a random red light and I need to get that stopped. I’m thinking the car is picking them up instead of rolling forward. With your short car they might work great. Good luck, see you in June.

Posts: 51 | Location: Rifle Colorado | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
John,

I would probably take the advice about the 16 inch wheels then. It might not be necessary but your tire choice should expand. Lots of guys running those little bubbas and having good luck although I know you don’t want Hoosiers but some of them seem to be working well also. Good luck!

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Agree the 16 inch will open more options...3195 or 3196 would be my choice.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think little bubbas would be good but not sure which one and they require beadlocks...I may go that route.
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
John,

I would probably take the advice about the 16 inch wheels then. It might not be necessary but your tire choice should expand. Lots of guys running those little bubbas and having good luck although I know you don’t want Hoosiers but some of them seem to be working well also. Good luck!

DRR Trophy
Picture of B-rad2416
posted Hide Post
Get a set of 16" beadlocks and the 3190 little bubbas. My car is close to the same and has become nasty on the little bubbas. JMO

Posts: 12 | Location: Loxahatchee, Fl | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I used to run 3084S, but upgraded to 16" DBL and 3191 little bubba on the recommendation by many people. I ran my 15" wheels with an 18* 632 once, and it would not get off the line to save my life.. (Hoosier tires then though, never tried with the MT)

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Decided to go with the 3084s for the time being...what tire pressure starting point?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
John,

I have gone down in pressure. I used to run 6 but now down to between 5.5 and 5.7 pounds.

I think my redlights have stopped but it's probably because the tire is now worn enough it's not snatching the wheels out of the lights.

Pivotdoc and I are going to try to run the Night of Fire and Thunder on Father's day up there in May. At least that's the plan for now. Hope to see you there. The daughter and son-in-law have moved to Denver and the wife is excited about going to see them. Plus we get to sleep in a real bed. LOL

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnracer:
...for a 4.50 swingarm dragster, 15" wheel, 4.10 gear. 1.80 low, RM583 12*.

I'll get 16" wheels if I have too, but already have 2 sets of 15's. Suggestions for Mickeys only please

As stated by many the 84 is a good tire. I'd try it and see how it lasts. In the meantime you should look for 16" bead lock wheel and plan of upgrading when you can. Both the little and big bubba tires are the ones you want for you combo IMO!

Good luck

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
We ran them on the long car at the Spring Fling in Vegas, but really didnt have any test time so just ran 5.2 psi the whole time. It ran well and didn't shake at all w/60's in the 1.063-1.068 range and mid 4.50's at 152...still haven't won a round in the damn thing, but it's fast.

We're testing today in Grand Junction and hoping to find the sweet spot on tire pressure. Thanks for the suggestions.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I ran my 5.7 in mine last night at our local duck pond. Mine are pretty worn but I was dead zero in the semis and dead six in the final FTW. Big Grin

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Congrats Cash!!!!!

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post