DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Straightening up Dragster Body Bottom Lip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straightening up Dragster Body Bottom Lip
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
I hate to say this because it tempts fate: But in the 16 years I have had my dragster, everything from the bottom lip up has stayed in decent shape. Not a lot in the way of scratches, although some. No dings. But the bottom lip has been victim to high centering in the pits and even loading onto the trailer. So there are fairly sharp waves in places on that bottom lip. We are thinking about freshening up the car a bit this winter. So how does one straighten up that lip? Hammer and dolly? Realistically I will need to paint at least that area in any case. Any experiences?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue. Aside from replacing the body, I don't think you can do much because the material is stretched. Hammer and dolly will only make it worse and thin the material....I'm going to just straighten mine as best I can by hand, and paint a stripe along the bottom edge that is darker than the rest of the body....the stripe will stand out but the bends will not be as obvious....although future plans are to get it reskinned

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Figure out what radius it is and use piece of tubing to straighten it against

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've tried all sorts of ways, have all the appropriate body tools, and i know how to straighten steel panels. All that being said, i've never been able to effectively straighten aluminum panels. It work hardens when it bends and stretches when you attempt to straighten. This makes it very difficult to make it look any better than before repair attempt. I've heard low temp heat can help but i've yet to try it. I resorted to panel replacement for aero lip repairs. Bring the racecar to the shop who will replace the panel because fittment is next to impossible to get just right when they don't have the car in front of them. Learned that the hard way too.... They need the car for minor tweaks and hole placement to ensure good fit.

I've been out of the collision repair industry for 20+ years but with Ford, Chevy, and others introducing aluminum body panels on vehicles there must be some body techs out there who have experience with straightening aluminum panels. The only challenge i could think of is that our dragster panels won't be the same material that's on the side of an F-150 quarter panel if i had to guess, and will behave differently due to material and heat treat properties.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We had someone step on ours and then the same dude used jackstands and tweaked the bottom lip as well. My son simply bodyworked it all back to like new condition. His is a paint an body guy though and does a lot of high end stuff for Sema etc. And yes the technology and tolls have changed a fair amount for working on aluminum although they still end up replacing most any dented panel. It can be worked if the spots are not horribly bent, our were fairly minor.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I had hoped maybe a shrinking hammer would be effective. I have never tried one. But right on the metal is certainly stretched.

As far as the tubing....it's usually the flat part that takes the abuse. Which is the case here.

Strange, my wife this year told me she would prefer I do what it takes to not die if we are going faster, and she would prefer the car presents a little nicer. I put dolly wheels under the car this winter. So I'm hoping the bottom lip damage is a thing of the past. Wing, beadlocks, brake decision pending. So now I get to spruce up a little.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I had hoped maybe a shrinking hammer would be effective. I have never tried one. But right on the metal is certainly stretched.

As far as the tubing....it's usually the flat part that takes the abuse. Which is the case here.

Strange, my wife this year told me she would prefer I do what it takes to not die if we are going faster, and she would prefer the car presents a little nicer. I put dolly wheels under the car this winter. So I'm hoping the bottom lip damage is a thing of the past. Wing, beadlocks, brake decision pending. So now I get to spruce up a little.
Whose dolly wheels did you use?

Posts: 101 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPosey:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Whose dolly wheels did you use?

I amazoned some skate board wheels and made brackets to mount them and welded the brackets on. For under the seat I needed to go smaller, and used a steel wheel I think maybe from HF. I believe I have three wheels per side of the car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
This brings up something that bothers me. Many dragster bodies come all way down to the bottom of the chassis so if you hit anything it damages it.

Some are up about 1/4 inch higher and that way it usually will not hurt the body if you hit something.

I put some dragster chassis wheels on my car and it has still got a small ding. Uggg.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3962 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My Racetech has a thicker aluminum body than some dragsters and is doubled at the bottom and is pretty strong but.....

I have high sided it a time or two and slightly bent the lower edge around the drivers seat or a little behind that.....

I take an adjustable wrench and some rags and bend it back. Paint tends to crack a little but is not too bad for a 17 year old car....

My old car was lower and I bent the panels many times......It was So low I made tapered wood ramps to ride up on in my old trailer.....If I missed the ramps or slid off one....panels took a beating...

One more reason to run BIG tires.....I run the 105-106 tire but the big 109-110's would pretty much eliminate the problem.....

Dragster bodies get chipped, scratched, bent...….Very tough to keep them perfect especially being a one man band !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
About 4 years ago I got the lip on a screw at the back by the door, I was driving the car in and didn't know it until the car quit moving. Bent it back up best I could but it has a good ripple in it. Figured I would tray and have it fixed next time the car is painted. Being an Undercover car and panels not readily available I dint have a bunch of choice. Even if I was able to buy a panel and have it shipped I bet it would arrive in worse shape then what I have.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Take a heat gun and heat the panel before trying to hammer and dolly on it. The heat helps release the molecules where it will move without tearing or stretching, assuming its not badly bent or creased.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why do these builders leave the body panels below the chassis? Dan Page locates his bodies a small distance higher than the chassis, in the 1/8 to 1/4 range. This won't stop all potential issues but it fixes 95% of them.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Why do these builders leave the body panels below the chassis? Dan Page locates his bodies a small distance higher than the chassis, in the 1/8 to 1/4 range. This won't stop all potential issues but it fixes 95% of them.

Excellent question

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was my question.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3962 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
When I sold my car last year it was 18 or 19 years old. 2001 Racetech. I completely re-did the car in 2010 or so and made it a swing arm, dual brakes, new powder, electronics, etc. I kept the original body. That thing was still in great shape with the exception of a few dzus holes being worn out. The floor of my trailer was in pretty bad shape, but the lip on the body never knew it.

I believe that Racetech has always made the best bodies. Mine, after living most of its life as a hard tail and still being in good shape nearly 20 years later is proof.

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
When I sold my car last year it was 18 or 19 years old. 2001 Racetech. I completely re-did the car in 2010 or so and made it a swing arm, dual brakes, new powder, electronics, etc. I kept the original body. That thing was still in great shape with the exception of a few dzus holes being worn out. The floor of my trailer was in pretty bad shape, but the lip on the body never knew it.

I believe that Racetech has always made the best bodies. Mine, after living most of its life as a hard tail and still being in good shape nearly 20 years later is proof.

Bet they mount that body reasonably high. I don't think I can beat it up in the trailer now with the dolly wheels. I should have done that a long time ago. Thanks to the member who suggested the roller blade wheels.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
we do that on our cars as well, we're 1/4" higher then the bottom of the rail. Like you mentioned, it fixes almost every issue. I've got 15 year old cars out there with perfect bottom lips

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Same here 1/4 higher. I still have to use the dragster dolly.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Cameron car will drive you to drinking. The frame is arched so much that the body is at least 1"+ below the bottom rail at the midpoint. It's a challenge to load. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post