DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange electrical gremlin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange electrical gremlin?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted
If I hit the brakes on my Cutlass, the temperature gauge jumps 5 degrees and the volt gauge drops almost 1 volt. As soon as I take my foot off the brake, everything goes back to normal. What in the world would cause this?

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted Hide Post
Presuming your temperature gauge is electric, a voltage drop will potentially cause a change. Electric gauges depend on regulated voltage for their signal. Voltage change reflects a gauge change...

Posts: 102 | Location: Ga | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got some grounding issues....brake lights might be looking for ground through other components because they aren't grounded properly. Seen this many times, especially on older cars with some rust/corrosion buildup in light sockets, etc....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
Are these gauges analog or digital ? Are you getting these readings by eye or are they recorded ? Are you running an alternator ? Where is the battery located ? Is the battery a wet cell or AGM type battery ? Are the brake lights actually being used ?

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What Coloradoracer said. You have a broken, corroded or lose ground (all all the above). That would be where I start looking. And since it only happens when you hit the brakes, disconnect the brake light switch completely. If it stops acting up, the faulty ground is probably in the brake light wiring harness or the switch itself.

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Just gonna put this out there i have seen cut of switches do very weird things. Not saying that i
s your problem but they are pretty inexpensive.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post