DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Expected life of Holley/ProForm carb needle and seat Q:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expected life of Holley/ProForm carb needle and seat Q:
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
BlahBlah

As usual.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
If you have a notched float it’s likely junk. They don’t last and will eventually absorb fuel. There is a better option but I won’t get into that.

Chris Walters

Posts: 120 | Location: New Whiteland,Indiana | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by regal:
If you have a notched float it’s likely junk. They don’t last and will eventually absorb fuel. There is a better option but I won’t get into that.

Notched to fit around jet extensions? You know, I think it is. I think mine is brass, however. I'll have to pull the fuel bowl to if there is a problem with my float.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been running Holley's black nitrophyl notched floats for 25 years and never had 1 go bad.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chris

I have rarely ever seen a bad nitrophyl float in many years of racing for those using gas, alky is a different story though.

If you have a fuel logged float, your float level will be higher than your original setting and in order to bring the float level back down to the proper level you will have little float drop which could cause that bowl's fuel level to get too low on a run and lean the motor out.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
Smile^^
This is exactly what I’m saying.

Chris Walters

Posts: 120 | Location: New Whiteland,Indiana | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Chris, why not share the better option?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, I've been running Holley's black nitrophyl notched floats for 25 years and never had 1 go bad.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
On methenol I’ve had them get heavy due to absorbtion. Float level will get high is first sign. Weigh them and it’s a dead give away. Just what I have experienced.

Chris Walters

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
On methenol I’ve had them get heavy due to absorbtion. Float level will get high is first sign. Weigh them and it’s a dead give away. Just what I have experienced.

Same here, just had one do this a couple weeks ago. I replaced both and kept the old ones as spares. Been told you can let them dry out and reuse them later.

Got away from the brass floats. Kept crushing them in cold weather.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
quote:

Same here, just had one do this a couple weeks ago. I replaced both and kept the old ones as spares. Been told you can let them dry out and reuse them later.

Got away from the brass floats. Kept crushing them in cold weather.

I've never had a problem with floats, but every spring my alcohol carb gets new metering block and bowl gaskets, and 2 new Quickfuel nitrophyl floats.

I carry spare needle and seat assemblies, but I've never changed them in 10+ seasons with this carb. I have changed the o-rings once.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lenny5160...KNOWS!

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for all the thoughtful responses.
I have new needle and seat assemblies in-hand, have new O-rings on order, and will remove my bowls this weekend to see how my floats are.
Thx again,
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post