DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mega 450 and porta tree.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mega 450 and porta tree.
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a mega 450 db and want to hook up my porta tree in my car. When I hook up wires to button I get nothing on the tree when I hit the button. I can't unhook wires from trans brake they are soldiered to the button. I talked to digital delay but they couldn't help. Any ideas?

Posts: 3 | Location: great north west | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
What does the delay box have to do with it? If you are truly connecting the button wires to the practice tree, then you aren't connected to the delay box.

Or if that isn't the case, fully describe what you are doing.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
450's are grounded on one side of the button and then to the box. I have no idea what porta tree is looking for. Could be just a dry contact. You should call portatree and ask them.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Slick, I think you are correct. it is a dry contact so it will not work thru the box. What I did was take one of the buttons from porta-tree and cut the ends off and put two small alligator clips then clip to the soldered connections on the back of the button. I had 3 buttons so it was an easy thing to sacrifice.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I bought a cheap headphone extension cord and cut one end off, then connected that to a button.

Cheaper than sacrificing a practice tree button, but the wires are tiny and can be a pain to deal with.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That is what I did. I cut the cord from one of the buttons. Found three wires inside. Red white and black. Found the two that touch together to stage and put them into the button in the car. When I hit the button it does not stage. Touching the wires together does. This is why I asked about the mega 450.

Posts: 3 | Location: great north west | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lafarge:
That is what I did. I cut the cord from one of the buttons. Found three wires inside. Red white and black. Found the two that touch together to stage and put them into the button in the car. When I hit the button it does not stage. Touching the wires together does. This is why I asked about the mega 450.

Is one side of the button still connected to ground? I'd try disconnecting that.

Tony Leonard

DRR Trophy
Picture of regal
posted Hide Post
Power the control side of a standard relay with the tbrake terminal from delay box. So terminal 85 then ground 86, the remaining terminals 87 and 30 is what you connect your two wires that are in cord of porta tree cable. Simply using the relay in place of what the original button did. Now you zero the delay in porta tree and use your delay box. No power should go to porta tree or you will kill it.

Chris Walters

Posts: 120 | Location: New Whiteland,Indiana | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
THIS ^^^^^^^

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post