DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alky Warm-up and End of Day Procedures
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alky Warm-up and End of Day Procedures
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of JP Miller
posted Hide Post
I thought it was something used to fill in plumbers crack! Uncontrollable Laugh

Posts: 28 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
JP you could use it for that , but I don't think Banjo is recommending it for that purpose ......

Laughing Hard

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Here's a technique that has worked for me for the last 20+ years with an injected alky combination:
Initial start up, let the car idle and lean out the fuel intake. The car will idle to ~2000 rpm. Turn the water pump on and let the car warm up to 200 degrees. While it's warming up, feel free to drive it around or place it on jack stands and let the tires spin. It usually takes about 7-10 minutes for this to reach 200 degrees, but the oil temp will also warm to 160 or higher. It also allows the trans fluid to warm up to that which it sees after a run. Every converter and fin angle is different, so the length of time for it to reach temperature will also vary. Once the water is at 200, I shut it down and wrap it (on cold days in the Northeast) or let it sit until they call for time runs.

At the end of the day: (this is the most important procedure we have found to keep the oil looking like oil
After you're finished (either lost that round or won the event), I lean it out on the return to the trailer. When I get back to the trailer, I either load it immediately (while still hot 200+) or I let it sit and winch or push it in the trailer. I will never let it cool and then restart it to drive in the trailer! Most importantly, when I shut it off, I open the butterfly wide open (I use a funnel or sharpie to wedge open the linkage) and let the moisture in the intake evaporate out through the top of the manifold. I also remove the breathers in the valve covers f you have some. I leave these venting for at least 30 minutes. A little extra bonus, if I roll the car out at home that night, I'll also remove the valve covers and let the engine vent.

People ask me all the time how often I change oil, and I laugh, as I only change it based on the number of heat cycles the engine endures, never because of contamination. This is just my $.02, I hope you can get some pointers or ideas that can benefit your program.

Posts: 5 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zooom:
Here's a technique that has worked for me for the last 20+ years with an injected alky combination:
Initial start up, let the car idle and lean out the fuel intake. The car will idle to ~2000 rpm. Turn the water pump on and let the car warm up to 200 degrees. While it's warming up, feel free to drive it around or place it on jack stands and let the tires spin. It usually takes about 7-10 minutes for this to reach 200 degrees, but the oil temp will also warm to 160 or higher. It also allows the trans fluid to warm up to that which it sees after a run. Every converter and fin angle is different, so the length of time for it to reach temperature will also vary. Once the water is at 200, I shut it down and wrap it (on cold days in the Northeast) or let it sit until they call for time runs.

At the end of the day: (this is the most important procedure we have found to keep the oil looking like oil
After you're finished (either lost that round or won the event), I lean it out on the return to the trailer. When I get back to the trailer, I either load it immediately (while still hot 200+) or I let it sit and winch or push it in the trailer. I will never let it cool and then restart it to drive in the trailer! Most importantly, when I shut it off, I open the butterfly wide open (I use a funnel or sharpie to wedge open the linkage) and let the moisture in the intake evaporate out through the top of the manifold. I also remove the breathers in the valve covers f you have some. I leave these venting for at least 30 minutes. A little extra bonus, if I roll the car out at home that night, I'll also remove the valve covers and let the engine vent.

People ask me all the time how often I change oil, and I laugh, as I only change it based on the number of heat cycles the engine endures, never because of contamination. This is just my $.02, I hope you can get some pointers or ideas that can benefit your program.

Finally - someone else who realizes that running alky doesn't mean you need to change your oil twice a day!!!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I change mine every 80-100 passes. I send the oil in to get it checked and it always comes back perfect. Getting heat into the oil is critical to evaporating all moisture out. Just because you run alky doesn't mean you have to live with milky oil. It's crazy to me how much oil is being wasted just because people don't have there stuff right.

Another thing that people don't think about is where you have your vacuum regulator. In my opinion, having it on the valve cover where when it opens its let's outside air and moisture into the motor is a bad idea. I feel it needs to be on the line going to the vacuum pump, so that when it opens, the air/moisture and dirt goes right into the vacuum pump as oppose to be pulled though the engine.

My oil reports never show any moisture in the oil.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Definitely do not be afraid to get the initial water temp to 200, in fact I highly recommend it. The block and oil will pull that initial heat out fairly quickly. Same thing when you quit for the day, and has been mentioned, pull your breathers etc. If you cannot get your water temp that high, you'll have to lean the idle out somehow. Leanout valve, turn the idle mix screws in, whatever it takes for the set up you prefer. A leanout/vacuum pump/ pan heater and you should never have any issues if your carb is set up even close to correct. I've run for years with just a leanout and don't have problems.

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
That plumbers pad is interesting. I wonder if one of those welding blankets they sell at Harbor Freight would protect the diaper pad like that plumbers pad.
In the answered questions it sounds like this plumbers pad is more for spatter than constant heat. insulationhttps://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B00O17CI4Y/1/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eman,

Posts: 1457 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I have accidentally left my oil pan heater on over night and it didn't burn my diaper. I would have to check, but I don't see the oil pan heater getting over 300-400 degrees if that. I have used this pad with a jegs stick on oil pan heater for years and never had an issue.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Bill is right about not putting the vacuum regulator on the valve cover. The main reason I do not want it there is because when it open it is draws air through the motor and that pulls oil out. Like it would if you had a leak. Put your regulator on the pump or on the line going into pump.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post