DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Phoenix tires for door car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phoenix tires for door car
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Just curious, anyone racing and winning with Phoenix tires?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Defrank

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I did and I won on them

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So did I but you just won’t find many bracket racers running them. They are a small company that doesn’t advertise, spun off from former Firestone employees 2 decades ago and mostly used by some super stockers and they leak air just as bad as emp-tees.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
All True

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ran them for years and still do this day. They do leak air.

Posts: 154 | Location: Carthage,TN | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I went 10.56 @ 121 mph in 1991 at the Snowbird Nationals street racing testing in Super Pro on a set of 10" Firestone's 1.36 60ft, brand new set Monroe Matic shocks, square port steel headed BBC 427 special grind Comp Cams 637 lift flat tappet cam!

What? That was flying for 1991 making $11.50 an hour, I was high rolling in my twenties! Laughing Hard

P.S If they said Firestone on the sidewall, I'd probably still have them on my car. I won a bunch of Super Pro bracket races on Firestone's. Loved them tires.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
I know a few running them, and they do work good. They might wear a little faster than an MT, or Hoosier, but they work good. Just soap em, and they’re fine.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I know Labous Sr. ran them. I've run them in the past and they worked good, didn't have air leakage problems. One thing I didn't like was they threw off rubber little gumballs, the car would have them on the quarters and they would smear when you tried to clean them off. I would have to use bug and tar remover to clean them and I'm not the only one that had this happen. They were very sticky and stayed sticky! Mt car would stick to the floor of my trailer and if you unloaded and rolled through gravel your tires would be covered. They're sold and I believe owned by Coker Tire in Chattanooga. I went there and picked up my tires.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run them on my 2800# backhalf door car, 5.90's 1.8th. They are a great tire, consistent and require very little burnout. Won with them last weekend.

Posts: 142 | Location: Ashland,Va | Registered: March 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when asphalt sealer, coca cola and mineral spirits was track prep. 400 lbs of ballast and 10" Firestone's were the hot ticket!

They must be using the same formula, I remember you could turn a rubber gumball stuck to the rear quarter, into an all day cleaning project, if you tried to wipe it off. I learned to leave em alone.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Everyone ran Firestones....in the 1980's

They had 2 compounds...F-9 and F-40 and the 9's were harder....The 40's were softer

I ran 14-32's on my S/G Vega and won with them....F-9's....Slapped a set of F-40's on in the middle of a national event and they immediately got my Rt's back to perfect...

One very popular tire for SS cars was a 13 x 31.25 x 15W that had a 2" band added to make it almost as big as a 14x32...

I guarantee you countless races were won on that tire.....

Firestone was a great sponsor and I had the buy one get one free deal.....for a while....

Goodyear came along and I had the same deal with them.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
After reading the comments I realize the question should have been about the current market offering from Coker Tire, not what was available in the past.

At this time I am leaning toward the #1984 Goodyear with D5 compound. It will be late fall or early next Spring before I make the final decision.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
LOTS OF RACERS HERE IN CENTRAL INDIANA USING THE PHOENIX FX TIRE WITH SUCCESS ME I USE THEM ON 84 FIREBIRD 14/32-15 TIRE RUNNING 5.90S THIS PAST WEEKEND RAN 5.99 5.99 6.00 5.99 RED LITE PUT ME OUT HAPPY WIYH THEM FOR ATLEAST 6 OR 7 YEARS NOW

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The 1984 good year and a Phoenix 14x32 are about as opposite as you can get. Not saying that either one is better but they definitely take two different types of set up with the suspension. The 1984 are a fairly stiff side wall where the Phoenix are more of a soft sidewall. I used both and loved the Phoenix and hated the good years. 2800 pounds, 10.90 @ 141 mph

Posts: 8 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: July 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post