DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BMF/T&D's pulled a bolt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMF/T&D's pulled a bolt
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
It pulled a thread on the rocker bar under #2 exhaust, right at the end of the T&D bar where it threads into the ceiling of the intake port. It got excessive lash and lost it's pushrod. Final round on the burnout of course.
I've heard of welding the intake and exhaust stands together and adding a bolt through the outside of the head. I'm the third guy I've heard of having this problem so I'm sure someone is well versed in the repair of it. Does anyone have experience fixing these?

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tony Bischoff at BES in Guilford, Indiana, (812) 576-2371

He fixed the same issue on my BMF385’s. Still holding.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is that what happened to the car? I thought it was something to do with the EFI since those things never work. Big Grin Wink Cool

Posts: 6 | Location: Streator,IL | Registered: March 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc3912:
Is that what happened to the car? I thought it was something to do with the EFI since those things never work. Big Grin Wink Cool

That's mean! LOL
Even mine works now!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Now I'm the 4th guy it happened to you herd of. Saturday at Maple Grove door wars race. Thinking I should have kept my old school Cranes with a stud girdle, never a problem.

Posts: 23 | Location: P.A. | Registered: February 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
My BMF heads with T&D rockers cracked at the base of the rocker stand. filled the engine with water, and wasn't pretty. Welded the crack, (twice) and then the heli-coil ripped right out of the head. fixed that with a time-sert, and so far, so good. I was told that two different castings were used, Canfield and Brodix. The Canfield castings suck, and the Brodix castings are fine.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Discussion on the 385 head. From 2016 with Pictures. I have seen the stud boss completely broken off and into the cooling jacket on a blown deal.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/f...b706471c0f&t=1827250

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Recently had the same issue on a Brodix -3 with a set of Jessel’s. Changing to a set of stainless Crower shaft rockers because of the way they are tied together.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell what the exact cause. Bad pour?
Stud boss platform angle issue/thin casting/roof too thin?
When i received my new 385's,Canfields...I found out after trying 3 different manufacturers of stud girdles, only one would work with the head and that was from BMF/CFE. After mocking up a dial indicator for the studs. loaded/unloaded. The side load on the studs, let say .005-.007. Not a happy camper by no means. I wasn't even aware they made a Spec girdle for the 385. I only run a 840 on the stick. anything bigger, will get the shaft setup.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
2 things I have found with BMF heads.....
The exhaust rocker stud boss on the set of 355 cnc was machined off.
With a Jesel stand bolted down the rocker tip would not leave a line across the valve tip when checking geometry. If was only hitting on the first .030 of the valve tips. Now it could have been how the holes for the guides were bored also.
I had to cut the stands from 0 to .010 to get the rocker tip to contact the valve all the way across the tip. Talk about time consuming.

Second, I have never seen a set that line up on the intake ports with any intake known to man.
The port location is off maybe .070 and when it is both sides then you have .140
So port walls are hanging in on both sides, if you dont catch it and weld the intake beforehand.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post