New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer tires
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I gotta buy 4 new tires for the race car trailer. Two of them are junk, the other two acceptable. Currently ST225/75D15 load range E, 5 lug 3500 lb axles (5x4.5 Ford steel rims which are rusting).

Is there any advantage to radial tires? Reason for asking, these have 6800 miles on them and of course are worn out, well two are. Previous set of tires were the originals from 2004, had about 35,000 on them (and they were ST205/75R15 C load range-which I thought was a little "lighter duty" than I thought it should have).

Local place sells the 205's for like $65 per. Probably chinese but I think most of them are now. Is there an advantage to the 205's vs 225's or vise versa?

24' Pace Rallye, 2x3500 lb torsion axles 7000 GVW, I pull it about twice a year nowadays. Sure ain't pulling on the current tires.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
All 15” trailer tires are Chinese and the best of this junk is Maxxis. That said, it’s the year 2018 and I would not tow 1 mile on bias trailer tires.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Maxxis for the best trailer tires. Just got 4 from Summit this week.

Posts: 16 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
I have the Goodyear Endurance and I must say so far so good....

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67SS
posted Hide Post
Used to use Maxxis and they were very reliable. The local tire store I use quit carrying them after some quality issues and now carry Primewell. I was skeptical at first but so far so good. Two of them have been on the trailer for about a year and a half. They are Primewell ST500 Radial...ST225/75R15 load range E.

Chad Harris

Posts: 1263 | Location: Vinton, Virginia | Registered: May 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
We have the Goodyear Endurance's on our 28' Vintage Outlaw

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have had pretty good luck with these on my open trailers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...R5TMSTR2V2&tab=Specs

The used 24ft Pace trailer I bought has 205/15/15s load range C on it and they are dry rotted.

205's
C - 1820 lbs
D - 2150 lbs

D - 2540 lbs
E - 2830 lbs

The 225's are 1.3" taller and have a .8" wider section width but not sure if they will fit. Not a lot of room above the tire, to the fender. Not sure how much the tires move on a torsion axle once loaded. Last thing I want is for them to rub.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
16” Made in the USA, Goodyear Endurance on my triple axle 34’ Intech.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've had real good luck with my Maxxis tires. There was that one incident with the fire hydrant at Tulsa, but that was the dumbazz driver's fault. Frown

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide to install, look at the date code on the tires to see when they were made. I like to purchase ones that are within 12 months of when I’m replacing. I’ve purchased from Discount Tire locally and Tire Rack. I’ve called both to get the tire dates from them prior to purchasing. I won’t purchase tires that have been sitting for over 1 yr even on my daily drivers. Trailer rated tires can wear out just sitting on the trailer fully inflated not moving. I’ve replaced 5 -6 yr old spare tires that have 0 miles on them. They’re junk.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
I have had pretty good luck with these on my open trailers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...R5TMSTR2V2&tab=Specs

The used 24ft Pace trailer I bought has 205/15/15s load range C on it and they are dry rotted.

205's
C - 1820 lbs
D - 2150 lbs

D - 2540 lbs
E - 2830 lbs

The 225's are 1.3" taller and have a .8" wider section width but not sure if they will fit. Not a lot of room above the tire, to the fender. Not sure how much the tires move on a torsion axle once loaded. Last thing I want is for them to rub.

I'm at 2.5 years on my first set of Maxxis E tires. So far, so good. My last set were Towmax E's (same tire that Tom linked to at Tire Rack, above). They lasted 4 years, before all 4 popped from broken belts/tread separation, within 70 miles of each other. Although that made for an memorable Sunday evening, at least they were consistent!

Before my Towmax experience, I went through 2-3 sets of Goodyear Marathon D tires. Each set lasted about 4 years, before one popped. Seeing as they all had about the same lifespan, I'm betting it really doesn't matter what I buy. I'm hoping Maxxis proves me wrong.

One interesting observation: when each of the Towmax tires popped, it sounded like a gunshot. When the Goodyears let go, they were much less violent. The Goodyear tires just quickly went flat.

Ben Rawe 383H
1965 Chevy II Nova

Posts: 226 | Location: Alexandria, KY | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Always have had good luck with Goodyear G949 RSA 215 85R 16

Posts: 100 | Location: Newton n.j. | Registered: November 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 67 Goat
posted Hide Post
I have pretty much grenaded every trailer tire I have ever used. Next set will be Goodyears. I park my trailer with car in it in the last corner bay of my shop, in order to get it in there I just about have to jack knife the trailer and truck. Trailer tires look like they want to fold over on themselves. Never had a sidewall issue, but I have had complete treads just peel off and steel belts break and other various tread explosions and failures. Always use Load range E. I am in hot and humid South Florida with hot temps almost all year round. Any of you can correlate sharp turns with tread failure?

Posts: 18 | Location: Delray Beach, FL | Registered: May 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
I have been using these with great results, the con on these is that not easy to find a dealer.
Rated E1 and E2 both being 10 ply

Read this https://tirereviewsandmore.com...d-st-radial-reviews/

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67 Goat:
I have pretty much grenaded every trailer tire I have ever used. Next set will be Goodyears. I park my trailer with car in it in the last corner bay of my shop, in order to get it in there I just about have to jack knife the trailer and truck. Trailer tires look like they want to fold over on themselves. Never had a sidewall issue, but I have had complete treads just peel off and steel belts break and other various tread explosions and failures. Always use Load range E. I am in hot and humid South Florida with hot temps almost all year round. Any of you can correlate sharp turns with tread failure?

The biggest correlation I have found is speed. I used to tow at the speed limit of 70 mph. Just slowing down to 65 mph has done wonders for extending the life of my trailer tires. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Mavman, Its a little more, up front, to switch to 16's, but its worth it, IMO. Several years back, I switched and Ive towed to west Texas, and to Chitown, to Pennsylvania, and Miami and back. One blow out, and that was from debris in road, that I saw it as I hit it.
Gunshot is correct.
Many people say that you should keep them at max pressure, and I agree. I bought 16" steel wheels, and found some 225/16 radials in 10 ply from a local tire guy, who is also a racer that towed a lot too. He recommended them, and I think it had 30K miles on them, when 2 bubbled.
The sway was gone, that I really didnt think that was that bad, with 15's, and ran them at 80 psi. The 225s fit without issue, on my 28'Vintage. I was normally in the 9300 lb range loaded.
There are some 10 ply 15's around, but Ive never tried them, after I switched to 16's, there wasnt any reason to.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
look...

Performance and longevity are two other concerns that these Hartland trailer tires address. They don’t overheat when they are carrying a load, when they are being frequently used or when they are travelling long distances. An N-speed rating allows them to travel up to 87 mph, which is rare for any ST tire on the market today.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I bought 4 new ones for my Pace 28' about 3 years ago, from Discount Tire. Can't remember what brand they are, IIRC they were made in Canada. I will take a look this weekend. Load Range E, I run them at 70 PSI, (rated for 80 PSI), and after 5 hours straight at 70-80 MPH, they are still cool to the touch. The Goodyear Marathons they replaced had multiple issues, (belt separation on 1, tread separation on 1, large bubble on one). And they were only speed rated to 65 MPH. A friend has had the Endurance tires for a year now, and loves them, so GY must have improved them a bunch over the M's...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with useing LT truck tires on a trailer? That's what I use on my open trailer with No problem. Plan to get a enclosed trailer one day so looking for an education and advice as I really don't know the answer.

Posts: 489 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
What is wrong with useing LT truck tires on a trailer? That's what I use on my open trailer with No problem. Plan to get a enclosed trailer one day so looking for an education and advice as I really don't know the answer.
Nothing, IMHO. They cost more that trailer tires, and are built to do more, so as long as the Load Range is more than enough for your trailer, I am not aware of any downside, (other than initial cost).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post