DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BB1's on a dragster, 496
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BB1's on a dragster, 496
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Correction to the below....BB1's on 496

Anyone run BB2's untouched on a 540? Car for sale locally. By memory has 540, but could be 496.
Run acceptably well in a dragster? Not looking to set the world on fire as this would be a starter car for my son if we could get it at an unreasonably good price. Im fairly certain that they are the 2's and not the BB1's. A low rpm combo that could be low maintenance would be a welcome change from my high strung small block.

It's in a Spitzer that (by memory) is 18 years old, hard tail. Small cage. With a glide. Very clean car. Just rather out dated.
I'm not even sure what a car of that vintage should go for today. I remember they got frustrated with the car because they couldn't get it to run well, and it sat.
Just trying to get a feel for it before I go look at it. I tried to sit in it and it took us a good 5 minutes of wrestling and pulling to get my shoulders out of the hoops. So no way I can get in it. The boy might be ok as his frame and shoulders are smaller, and it looks as though he may stay that way.

Any recent sales or purchases of cars of this nature to give me a reference? I think he is struggling to sell it because of the cage size.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
345cc is what most of the premier engine builders use on a 540. I suppose something somewhat smaller might better serve your low RPM preference.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My dad put his motor in my dragster when I first got it. It was Bb2s on a 496 on gas. 2010 Miller and I am 300 pounds and went 530/820 most of the time. Never had any issues with it, and it was fast enough I could judge most cars. As for the car, I wouldn't know what to say on price. It's really the value of the parts on it. If it's outdated, I would price it at no more than 7k rolling. Maybe 12k turnkey, but at the rate the value of smaller cages have declined, I would be assuming that it wouldn't be worth more if you go to sell it even if you update it while you own it.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
With there being tons of cars out there for sale for pennies on the dollar, I would wait and find something that you could drive if you wanted and he could grow into, preferably with shocks. Buts thats just my opinion

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Be advised a 540 will be built on an aftermarket block. Whereas a 496 is a max bored 454 GM stock block. BIG difference from a reliability stand point. A 540 can be punched out 2 or 3 times with off the shelf pistons. You're already maxed out on a 496 and any cylinder wall damage and it's all over.... new block time.

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
Be advised a 540 will be built on an aftermarket block. Whereas a 496 is a max bored 454 GM stock block. BIG difference from a reliability stand point. A 540 can be punched out 2 or 3 times with off the shelf pistons. You're already maxed out on a 496 and any cylinder wall damage and it's all over.... new block time.

Good point and I will have to get details

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
With there being tons of cars out there for sale for pennies on the dollar, I would wait and find something that you could drive if you wanted and he could grow into, preferably with shocks. Buts thats just my opinion

Well, that's one of my only concerns is the lack of 4 link. The suspended cars just stop so much better. Hard to mess up stopping them. Nice for a new driver.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top189h:
My dad put his motor in my dragster when I first got it. It was Bb2s on a 496 on gas. 2010 Miller and I am 300 pounds and went 530/820 most of the time. Never had any issues with it, and it was fast enough I could judge most cars. As for the car, I wouldn't know what to say on price. It's really the value of the parts on it. If it's outdated, I would price it at no more than 7k rolling. Maybe 12k turnkey, but at the rate the value of smaller cages have declined, I would be assuming that it wouldn't be worth more if you go to sell it even if you update it while you own it.

That's a good reference point on the performance. And the price as well. That's about where I wanted to be all in so that we could have at least a chance of getting money back out of it when the time comes.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ok found out more. 496.BB1's.
Not sure how that combo runs.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:

True, aftermarket blocks are superior in many ways ..........

But oem 454 blocks are still readily available and cheap.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fwiw,
A friend put his 496 with Dart Pro Ones (325s), alky injected in my HT dragster and ran high 7's at probably around 1875lbs ( probably lighter, never weighed the car much). He went 9.40/50's in his back half Chevelle probably around 3050lbs with the same engine.

Probably could have gone faster with a tire and convertor change.

Remember that theese et's are from East coast (mainly Atco and Cecil County).

I keep saying I'm going to run it again but qwap happens!

Plus I won't have any were close to race anymore since it looks like Atco Dragway is done. All the bleachers are knocked down EXCEPT for the the newer aluminum ones. There's stuff at the road for sale.

I'll make you a great deal Bucky!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I think that head is a good bit better than the bb1's. But it gives a reference. The car will almost certainly be better than 8.40 it seems.
Thank you that is a good point of reference. The kid being under 160 lbs during the running seasons doesn't hurt either.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
Fwiw,
A friend put his 496 with Dart Pro Ones (325s), alky injected in my HT dragster and ran high 7's at probably around 1875lbs ( probably lighter, never weighed the car much). He went 9.40/50's in his back half Chevelle probably around 3050lbs with the same engine.

Probably could have gone faster with a tire and convertor change.

Remember that theese et's are from East coast (mainly Atco and Cecil County).

I keep saying I'm going to run it again but qwap happens!

Plus I won't have any were close to race anymore since it looks like Atco Dragway is done. All the bleachers are knocked down EXCEPT for the the newer aluminum ones. There's stuff at the road for sale.

I'll make you a great deal Bucky!

Deals are always good! Smile

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Think about a few things here. Being a hard tail resale is terrible and with small cage even worse. Those things really drop the value of the car.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t get too caught up on the heads. I had a 496 with a flat-tappet cam and close chamber iron heads that made 650/680 with an alcohol 850 and I believe went 8.20s-30s in my hardtail car.

I’d have no problem getting back into a solid car or putting my kid in one, but you’d definitely have a hard time selling it as others have mentioned.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curly1:
Think about a few things here. Being a hard tail resale is terrible and with small cage even worse. Those things really drop the value of the car.

Does your FED have suspension?

That's why he would get a great deal!!! It already dropped value 20 years ago.

Don't try to kill a tenth 10 feet from the finish line and you should be fine.

If you race backwood tracks, you shouldn't even go! You ever run yellow belly?

Here it was running 7.60 with different engine

Not trying to make a sale persay, I'll get it together one day or mount it to side of my garage for art. I'd like to put a high gear only 396" engine and go 10's! No one would care unless it went rounds!

PS: Eddie Hill loves the Scoop!!!

Only took me 45 minutes to remember how to post a picture!

Just having fun!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:

Good point and I will have to get details

This info is not true. I have a 582 sitting here in a 502 Gen 6 Chevy block that started out as a 555 and I ran it for 12 years.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This info is not true.

I almost said their could be exceptions but let it go, since that is a low percentage possibility, so now I get crucified. The OP said it's 18 yo and "rather out dated". I would be willing to bet the 496 is a old mark IV block. BUT, it could be a sleeved 502. You can never have enough CYA with keyboard experts lurking.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t meaning it was possibly a sleeved 502 only that it doesn’t have to be an aftermarket block. A I know plenty of people who have gone more than 60 over on Mark IV block.
I don’t see where you got crucified just stated not true.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a 511 ci. stock GM block with BB2 heads in a 2070 lb. dragster and it ran 5 teens most of the time very good combo.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post