DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    50cc pumps on Holley 4150 carburetors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50cc pumps on Holley 4150 carburetors
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Any experience? using 50cc pump on primary side? 850 and up carbs. Before I try it.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
On alcohol, yes I do.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
yes on alcohol added them to my 750s on tunnel ram been on there 5 years it took away the stumble on when you mat it on the line

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Why? My understanding is the bigger pump gives you a longer pump shot and the squirter gives you a bigger pump shot along with the cam. My alcohol carb has 30cc pumps but the squirters have been drilled out, can't remember the size but it's big from Rupert.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eman,

Posts: 1453 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
50cc pumps have always worked great for me. Especially when the carb is actually too large for the application and you have a big hole to cover up on the initial hit. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think the question to be answered is, do you need it? More isn't always better if all is working well. But if what you have isn't working, and I suspect it is not, it's a tool you can try. I've used 50cc's on different occasions with success.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
I think the question to be answered is, do you need it? More isn't always better if all is working well. But if what you have isn't working, and I suspect it is not, it's a tool you can try. I've used 50cc's on different occasions with success.

That is it many on gas do not need it when tuned right or use it as a crutch to cover up tuning issues.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i used 50cc on front and back on 4150,s footbraking and sg racing and had excellent results on gas .

Posts: 1235 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
50cc, if ya got low signal.

Put a roller camshaft, that'll fix it.

Or just put a Reher Morrison shear plate on it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
Any experience? using 50cc pump on primary side? 850 and up carbs. Before I try it.

Why are you asking!!!!!!!! Probably no reason to do this.

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
One thing you can be sure of - the combination will tell you what it needs/wants. Listen to what it tells you!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is not my personal problem. I run a 4500 Doninator on my 468 similar engine, but have a good friend that is determined to run a 4150/950 80496 and seeing my performance would like to achieve the same by making them similar. His car leaves like a snail. Granted he is now trying different converters and maybe there could be a another problem that he needs to be address, but the 50cc pump could? help. Was hoping there would be more racers that use the big pump, but it seems that's not the case. He will try and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your input. Bob Richmond

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
This is not my personal problem. I run a 4500 Doninator on my 468 similar engine, but have a good friend that is determined to run a 4150/950 80496 and seeing my performance would like to achieve the same by making them similar. His car leaves like a snail. Granted he is now trying different converters and maybe there could be a another problem that he needs to be address, but the 50cc pump could? help. Was hoping there would be more racers that use the big pump, but it seems that's not the case. He will try and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your input. Bob Richmond

It's not the accel pump causing his issue unless it bogs when he goes WOT. The it could be that or the size of the squirters causing a bog. Otherwise it's in the combo!

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What size squirters and what pump ams are on the carb now? Squirters are simple bigger number more fuel. Cams have different profiles if you do the google there's a graph of the different cams by color by how quickly they deliver the fuel.

Posts: 1453 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
i used 50cc on front and back on 4150,s footbraking and sg racing and had excellent results on gas .

this for over 25 years

https://youtu.be/rbKYio6OvKM

and still now top bulb and throttle stop racing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you are using a transbrake the squirters/accel pump size etc. just allow the motor to get to the launch rpm cleanly, after that they do nothing with regards to on track performance... Foot braking is another story...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:

this for over 25 years

Same. Much better throttle response off the foot, and quicker 60', especially with a slightly tight converter and/or heavy car.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
All of the bigger 4150's I build have the 50cc pump and diaphragm, but use the correct pump cam for the fuel and engine requirements. A green or blue cam on gas is more than enough, if it isn't usually something else is amiss. Bad ignition components, timing incorrect, plug heat range wrong... Also correct primary t-slot exposure can help with stumble issues. And when holes are drilled in the throttle blades it will usually not allow for enough-t-slot exposure.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post