DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Towing with a 1/2 pickup
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Towing with a 1/2 pickup
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I would have just got an S10 Eek Wow oh wow. Wrong With all the texting idiots today. Holy Moly

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
A friend shared this with me a few months back on Gas vs Diesle Total cost of ownership....

Gas vs Diesel

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Been watching this topic since the beginning and just went though the cost of ownership. I never towed with a 1/2 ton but have towed with a 1998 3/4 Chevy ,just picking a 28Ft. up for a friend. Its was empty and I had a good road leveler , this was in stop an go traffic and some heavy freeway stuff to. I got it done but was not a great time. I now have a Dodge 2007 dually and its my daily driver and tow rig. It gets 19.0 around town 21.0 plus on the freeway if I keep it under 75 mph. I am a cheap son of a gun so my open trailer and car weight is 4550 so towing gets the mileage to the tracks I race at 19.0 at 70 mph. This is on very flat freeways , no hills or mountain roads. The only major repairs on the truck was and A/C repair. I would not give it up no matter what the new line of todays 1/2 have to offer... I rather do an over kill than risk mine or some else in a accident because of not having enough brakes...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
Been watching this topic since the beginning and just went though the cost of ownership. I never towed with a 1/2 ton but have towed with a 1998 3/4 Chevy ,just picking a 28Ft. up for a friend. Its was empty and I had a good road leveler , this was in stop an go traffic and some heavy freeway stuff to. I got it done but was not a great time. I now have a Dodge 2007 dually and its my daily driver and tow rig. It gets 19.0 around town 21.0 plus on the freeway if I keep it under 75 mph. I am a cheap son of a gun so my open trailer and car weight is 4550 so towing gets the mileage to the tracks I race at 19.0 at 70 mph. This is on very flat freeways , no hills or mountain roads. The only major repairs on the truck was and A/C repair. I would not give it up no matter what the new line of todays 1/2 have to offer... I rather do an over kill than risk mine or some else in a accident because of not having enough brakes...

What do you think the 98 3/4 ton is like compared to new 1/2 tons?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Bucky , have not towed with a modern 1/2 ton with an enclosed trailer so I could not tell you. Towed my open and car with 2008 F150 acceleration was ok but braking in street traffic was not very good, doable but not great ....Mileage was poor

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

What do you think the 98 3/4 ton is like compared to new 1/2 tons?

I went from a 5.9 07' 2500 Ram to a 17' 1/2 ton Ram with a Hemi and 3.92 gear. The 17' actually has more snot on the entrance ramps than the diesel did. Stops great with a factory controller also. The rub is the gas mileage is poor by comparison.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Newer vehicles, not just trucks are better than they used to be. Still a 1/2 ton truck is a light duty truck no matter how you slice it.

You do what you want and if you feel safe and comfortable with you and your family. I have learned and will not tow with a 1/2 ton truck again. I am not trying to change your mind about it and I definitely am not going to chance my mind. Too many close calls. Often I feel it is more dangerous to tow to the race than to actually race. A lot of stupid people on the roads today.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3984 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post