DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Towing with a 1/2 pickup
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Towing with a 1/2 pickup
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
There is a post in the tech section of another site that talks about how crazy and nuts you are to pull a race car trailer with a 1/2 pickup.I do not post on this site anymore to respond,so I will post my response here.

I have towed for YEARS (Many YEARS) with a 1/2 ton pickup.My current vehicle is a 2018 1500 Double Door Silverado with the Max Trailering package.

People are saying that you have to be "nuts","not value your life",etc.

Now I will admit,that if money was no object,there are "better" tow vehicles.However,this vehicle is my daily driver to work,which also functions as my tow vehicle for racing.It has a 5.3.My last truck had a 6.0.

This vehicle pulls a 24 ft enclosed trailer with a nearly 4,000 pound car and TONS of spare parts inside.It pulls like a dream and I have been getting about 12.5 miles per gallon.

I HIGHLY suggest an air bag kit,such as this:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com...e9E8dihoCVF8QAvD_BwE

However,I do get tired of all of the FAKE NEWS that is on the internet,and wanted to set the record straight.

And by the way,it stops fine also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 442OLDS,

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've heard the stories about how bad it is blah blah blah. I have a 28' with a dragster and golf cart. Tow with my 2014 ford F150 when my girlfriend doesn't come to the track and I leave the RV at home. I do use a load leveling hitch. But it tows just fine. I will admit it's a lot of trailer if it gets windy going down the road. But I've towed thing all my life from boats to equip. And if I didn't think it was safe or was in the least uncomfortable doing it I wouldn't attempt it. If I had the money I'd have a nice dully sitting around just to tow with lol.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Half tons aren’t what they used to be. 24’? Sure. 28’ depending on how far and how challenging.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 chevy Silverado with the 6.2l and the max tow package. My 24' enclosed loaded with car scooter, big Honda generator, etc, is right around 8800#. Pulls it very well. This too is my daily driver..12.5 towing, 22+ on the highway buy itself. I agree with the air bags. I have a wd system, but the bags couldn't hurt.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
BUcky may have key about not what they use to be.

I knnow the old 1/2 69 panel I have has towed a bunch of 24 foot trailers and more than one 30 foot camper(NC to FL and back) and we will just skip the speeds.

If you are pulling trailer with race car,generator,few tools and maybe golf cart. I do not see problem. Keep your eyes on road,stay off phone and pay attention to distances to others is biggest thing. You are going to stop on dime with any change. Electric brakes with remote are your best friend when needing to stop quick.
Load leveler bars are great also,hell if need you can change rear tire w/o a jack if need with them,Been there done that.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4160 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends where you are, the terrain, the traffic, etc.

I have a Dodge 2500 Diesel and a GMC 1500 with 5.3. I have towed with both. I used to say the same things until I had a 3/4 ton.

I was coming back from the track late one night. Almost home. Traffic Light on 2 lane divided highway turned red when I was about 100' from light. Teenagers in the other lane decided they needed to pull in front of me before the light. I know for a fact I would have driven through them with my 1/2 ton. Was able to get it stopped with the 3/4 ton.

For similar reasons I wouldn't try it in Dallas traffic either. Too many idiots and you would be going 0 MPH trying to leave enough room between you and the car in front of you from all the people cutting you off.

So like I said. I think it really depends on your situation and there isn't a one size fits all on this topic.

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 343 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Been pulling a 26’ trailer with my 14 1500 max trailer package for 4 years with no air bars and it does great, even had some deer test the brakes and it came to a screeching halt no problem. I just replaced the P rated tires it came with from factory with an Lt tire but ha sky towed with it yet with new tires. I have been very pleased with mine.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I often feel it is more dangerous to tow to the track than racing. People here pull out in front of you, cut you off and we just can not stop or turn as quickly as they can. In the old days Don Garlits and those guys pulled with an old station wagon.
In traffic, really windy areas or big hills with heavy loads I want the bigger truck.

Now I want a full size one ton dually and good trailer brakes and still be careful.

Yes you can tow with a smaller truck but I do not feel comfortable doing so. If you feel comfortable doing it then that is what matters.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
The only issue I can see is with local law enforcement. Nothing wrong with towing with a 1/2 ton truck. As mentioned above, an equalizer hitch makes a big difference. Just make sure the tow weight and tongue weight isn't over the rated weight of the truck.

I've heard of racers being pulled over after leaving a race track. Pickup truck loaded up. 3+ people in the truck towing an enclosed trailer and they get a ticket for being over the GVW of the vehicle.

Trucks that have a factory tow package are much better. The will have a deeper gear in the diff plus have larger brakes designed for towing.

I towed a 16' open trailer with my car on it with a 91 454 SS lowered pickup (With overload air bags) for many years. Never slowed the truck down at all but when I switched to an enclosed trailer, I needed to get a bigger truck.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
This is one of main reason I want to build new trailer with aluminum,if can swing cost. About 60% of the weight of steel,but at 40% more cost.Funny how those numbers worked out.

Every trailer I looked at weighed about 9500 for steel and 5300 or so for aluminum.Has to make towing easier and stopping lot easier even if using less than ideal tow vehicle.

Posts: 4160 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No mountains, light load, short hauls with little traffic, no problem, the issue isn't the towing it’s more about the stopping. Can it be done, yes but when you are faced with an emergency it is a problem. Not trying to argue but to be reasonable.

Bob

Posts: 3059 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
This is one of main reason I want to build new trailer with aluminum,if can swing cost. About 60% of the weight of steel,but at 40% more cost.Funny how those numbers worked out.

Every trailer I looked at weighed about 9500 for steel and 5300 or so for aluminum.Has to make towing easier and stopping lot easier even if using less than ideal tow vehicle.

That's a big weight difference. I never saw that great of a difference when I was looking at tags.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
2?’s for those doing this
Do y’all use an equalizer hitch &/or sway bar?
Does a spread axel trailer help or is it not worth the upgrade?

Posts: 106 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: July 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Fyi i had to use my brothers 2015 3/4 ton 6.0L to haul my trailer home today. About a 200 mile trip. Although i have always used a half ton, his 3/4 ton did tow better in regards to handling. Gas mileage wasnt as good as my 6.2. If you need your truck for an every day driver, i like the 1/2 for everyday comfort and gas mileage. For mostly hauling, the 3/4 handles it better , but suffers the fuel mileage.

As mentioned either will do the job , you just have to adjust accordingly

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

That's a big weight difference. I never saw that great of a difference when I was looking at tags.

Thats two trailers at trailers of east coast sitting side by side and almost exactly the same except aluminum vs steel. Like I said main reason I am pushing so hard to pull the aluminum deal off.

Don't really plan to use 1/2 ton for towing since I have almost new(milage wise) FL70 conversion with 24' box sitting in drive.
If I do need to pull with one of my regular trucks I like having option.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
You better recheck your calculations on those trailers. There's no way that 2 equal trailers are that much different in weight from steel to aluminum.

Posts: 433 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have equalized hitch but no sway bar.
My truck is my daily driver and when I bought it I told salesman if it didn’t hold up line I was wanting that I would be back to trade it on a 3/4 ton. I tow 130 miles to race several times a mo th and it does great.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

I was told roughly 600lb difference between aluminum and steel from Intech and ATC for a 28' tag . I tow with a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton so 600lbs didn't make sense for the added cost ........

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I don't know what size trailer weighed 9500 lbs, but my steel 53' with 12" extra height weighs 8300 lbs empty.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
My Haulmark race trailer weighs about 4400lb. empty. It has the longer tongue and 2 5k axles. I have never tried to tow it with a 1/2 ton truck. Not for me.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post