Find
Notify
Tools

Ring gear wear
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted
Little background, two seasons ago when I moved from 4.10 gears to 3.89 I pulled my third member to keep as a spare (and in case I wanted to go back) and bought an identicle third member from a gear company set and ready to with the pro 9” 3.89. Doing some inspection this off season and it appears the gears have been sharpened with splinters and sharp edges in the machined face (where it’s usually scerated.) No outright broken (missing teeth) but I’m sure it’s not far away. Going to replace, just wondering what the cause is, not seen that before...although I do have a bunch of 220mph passes on them. Most the wear is at the toe side, will get a metal splinter if you run your finger from the toe to heal aspect of the gear. Also almost every tooth is the same, some are just a little worse than others but all have the wear. Will work on posting some pictures from the bore camera, have not pulled them yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NEMO963,

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the depth was set wrong. (Shim) After you do pull it out, put the torque wrench on the ring gear bolts.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
case spread ????

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Arron1320
posted Hide Post
Are you running a load bolt?

A lot of factors to consider including type of oil and amount.

Arron Spitzer
Quickperformance.com

Posts: 15 | Location: Ames, IA | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post