New
Find
Notify
Tools

540 BBC cam
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hi All, I have a shafiroff 540 that's one of their older builds which i think were like 765hp. Does anybody have any idea what the cam specs were on these motors? Its drag motor with roller cam dart 345 heads. Looks to be one of their standard crate race 540s.
I lost a lifter on this motor so cam and lifters need replacement. I was considering the RM 420-113 cam. I just don't know if the RM cam would be alot different and cause other problems. Motor is in good shape and don't want to do a complete overhaul at this time. Also can this cam be ordered directly from erson or is it a proprietary specs for RM only? Thanks

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Who's cam was in it? There a grind number on it?
The 598 i got from him was a Comp Spec grind.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten that far on it yet. Still in the motor. I figured if i call shafiroff they won't give me their top secret specs lol

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if it was me i would call bullet and get a cam spec. personally i dont like rm cam profiles

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtended_s10:
I haven't gotten that far on it yet. Still in the motor. I figured if i call shafiroff they won't give me their top secret specs lol

Call there, see if Vinney is still there. There should be a Build number/serial number on the block from them. If it hasn't been touched.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think i need more info on my end as far as whats currently in it. Just don't know how to get it. idk why everything needs to be such a secret as far as cam specs. i'm thinking there won't be anything on the cam that id's it but i guess i'll find out soon.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Years and Years of R&D.Taken very seriously.I know several that run their power.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Call there, see if Vinney is still there. There should be a Build number/serial number on the block from them. If it hasn't been touched.

Any idea where i would find their serial number on it? I've looked it over before and haven't noticed anything.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Years and Years of R&D.Taken very seriously.

I hear you but i don't think a 540 is exactly cutting edge at this point in time. Now one of their bad ass high hp motors that's a different story.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtended_s10:
quote:

Any idea where i would find their serial number on it? I've looked it over before and haven't noticed anything.

I will have to look in the AM. Recent experience of the CRS syndrome. You get it directly from them? Is so you should of gotten a dyno sheet when they put it on the treadmill.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This was sitting somewhere for several years. Someones project that never happened. I got a good deal on it after it went through a couple people. Only dyno i have is running it down the track. So far not real impressed performance wise but we've gone some rounds with it. Its been wounded for a while luckily the lifter started making noise in the driveway at the house.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Extended X10 Others might not agree but my 02. The Reher Morriso 420-113 was also used in the 522 along with the 540. I think they stock that cam. Either alky or gas that will be fine. You will be back racing and that should be easy on valve train. Tune for consistancy and get the win slips. The Dart 335 cnc and the dart 355 cnc and also the AFRs in the same range runner would pick up some power but are you really going to win more races with 35-60 more H.P. If it only needs cam and lifters save the rebuild money for entry fees and next year or when ever us the tracks money to freshen it.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
If you lost a lifter the smart thing to do is tear it down, when a lifter and or cam fails steel gets in between the skits and cylinder walls. Steel gets in the oil pump, screen or not.
Tear it down, clean it at min and re assemble clean.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BAD NEWS knows here. If the needles cam out of the lifter all busted up the splinters will be all over and imbedded in piston skirts and all over. Need like an xacto to pic out of skirt. Sorry in my earlier post I kinda thought you caught it at start up in the driveway.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As has been stated, get the engine apart, clean everything and reassemble. While it's apart hone the cylinders and put new rings in it. Maybe bearings, maybe touch up the valve job, all depends on what everything looks like/how many runs on it.

Now if this was late in the season and say you were a contending for a division or world championship, I would tell you put a new pair of lifters on the wounded lobe, run the lash .004 tighter and go win the championship.

As to your cam, when you have it in hand, get the numbers off of it and call Comp to grind a new one.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
765 hp is a pretty weak 540, mine made 884 and is easy on valve train. Currently is 548 and has been 5.21 in 1/8 in my doorcar. I do have bigger topend on it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I worked for Shafiroff for several years... we had several custom-grind camshafts that were used for their popular combos... most were made by Comp. If the motor was purchased from them complete they can probably tell you what cam was in there if you find the job #. There should be a grind number on the cam itself that will tell what it is and I'm sure Comp can duplicate it but you can also call SSRE and order a replacement right from them and avoid the wait - even if they don't have that exact cam sitting on the shelf, I'm sure they have one that will work with your 540 as it was a very popular combo back then.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Slickster, Yes it did break in the driveway. Mind you it got beat up running it but didn't make any noise until i went to put it in the trailer sunday. I knocked the pin out of the lifter most of the chewed up pins were still in the lifter. The lifter pin has some decent wear. My plan is to pull the pan and see if its clean and go from there. I found numbers on the front of the crankshaft that shafiroff can id the motor. They said they should have a cam that will work if not the exact same.

as far as 765 hp thats what they used to be from shafiroff years ago. Again this motor has sat for quite some time.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
If you lost a lifter the smart thing to do is tear it down, when a lifter and or cam fails steel gets in between the skirts and cylinder walls. Steel gets in the oil pump, screen or not.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you lost a lifter the smart thing to do is tear it down, when a lifter and or cam fails steel gets in between the skirts and cylinder walls. Steel gets in the oil pump, screen or not.

"most of the chewed up pins were still in the lifter". Unless you can account for every piece dont chance it.

The pieces get imbedded in the skirts, and do damage too the cylinder walls. Just pull it apart, if the cylinders are good and no scrap steel in the skirts then stick it back together, yes same rings in the same cylinders, And if the bearings look good re use them as well. Maybe some new springs though.