DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    grid capabilities
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

grid capabilities
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at adding s grid .Mainly for timing control at launch.

Question. Timing control w/o crank trigger?
Can I use it to trigger cpl solenoids
off time? How many?
Don't need data part, but might use as backup to logger. Possible w/o lot of sensors added?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Looking at adding s grid .Mainly for timing control at launch.

Question. Timing control w/o crank trigger?
Needs a MSD type distributor or points type trigger from any control
Can I use it to trigger cpl solenoids
off time? How many?
As many as you want. Just keep adding MSD 7760 modules for more than the one output built into the 7730
Don't need data part, but might use as backup to logger. Possible w/o lot of sensors added?
Grid only records what it controls except O2

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
It is msd.Well msd mag 12.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
It is msd.Well msd mag 12.

Best to check with MSD or others knowledgeable in this installation for triggering Grid with a mag.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Markemark.

regardless what a lot here say I do actually take some's advice. Seems MSD has one guy who can answer my question. Carlos . The fella I
spoke with seems to think its a requirement.

I was hoping not for cpl reasons.Numerous post on this site about issues with crank trigger is big one.Less parts less to go bad. Spending more money and I have done real good job of that latley. Was hoping it would be a case where I should for very best result but could do w/o for
while.Oh well.

Thanks for reply

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The installation diagrams for Mag with Grid show a crank trigger.

Crank Trigger is my choice with Grid installations after reviewing many distributor triggered Data Acquisitions from Grid.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
The installation diagrams for Mag with Grid show a crank trigger.

Crank Trigger is my choice with Grid installations after reviewing many distributor triggered Data Acquisitions from Grid.

After reviewing distributor data, what do you see when compared to trigger data?
Thanks

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Viewing a crank trigger rpm graph next to a distributor trigger is very obvious. The crank trigger is very smooth and the distributor is fuzzy.

Some distributor triggers are much better than others. Depends on the play in the system that dives it.

Here’s an “Extreme” in the pic with the red rpm line. This racer was having a problem with Grid not making the 1-2 shift at times. When I reviewed the settings in Grid, the shift RPM drop was programmed to 400. Grid was seeing this 400 rpm drop between the Blue and Red cursors. It then moved the Gear indicator to the next gear and the shift was never made. Replacing the distributor gear and a change in the Grid programming corrected the missed shift problem.

The Green rpm line below shows how smooth a crank trigger inputs to Grid. This is what I want to use in my RPM shifting that occurs 3.4 seconds after launch in my car. I chart maximum rpm and time in first gear. A crank trigger will show more consistent rpm / time completed shift results in a car that shifts later in the run.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
A crank trigger is reliable and dependable. The ignition box not so much. MSD will lead you an a long expensive wild goose chase if you ever have an ignition box problem.
They will tell you it is crank trigger, Crank trigger wire, fuel problem, bad battery, moon and stars out of line or what ever anything but the box. Fact is most everything is pretty reliable except the box.
For me the big advantage of a crank trigger is I rarely ever use a timing light now. I have marked on the crank trigger the timing and each dot is 2 degrees. Set it where I want it from there.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Would love msd to tell me battery had anything to do with ignition. I am not worried about the box as .msd I don't use them for servicing. If I have to install crank trigger for msd to work I will,rather not. Just another piece to go bad and make figuring out which piece it is when something is wrong and it will at some points. Plus another 500 bucks,heck half fuel flow meter for computer that I want.Look like its mandatory rather than optional.