DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Changing Our Hoosier 30x9 Lightweight Radials
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing Our Hoosier 30x9 Lightweight Radials
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
After 3 years & 3 sets of Hoosier 30x9 C06 lightweight radials on our bracket car. We decided to try some different radials. Nothing wrong with the current tire, we were getting 130-150 runs on them. When we ran the bias ply slicks we were lucky to get 100 runs, the side walls would go.

Anyway, our 1st change in the radials will be going to the Hoosier 30x9 C07 standard radial. Not sure what to expect between 2 lbs. more weight per tire & the slightly harder compound. I'm hoping for an easy transition.

I'm also looking to buy another set for testing in early next year. They will be MT Pro Bracket Radial or Pro Drag Radial & I'm also thinking about the Goodyear Radial.

If anyone has experience with any of these tires in this size & using them for bracket racing. Please chime in or I'll update some of the results after our Thanksgiving race.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
You are switching to the tire that I run if it is the 92.5" version. I don't think you'll notice any change in performance, but it should last longer. I got about 240 passes on the last set.

I wouldn't bother with the Goodyear. It's a fine tire, but no change from the Hoosier and all of their radials are lightweight now, so probably shorter life.

I'm curious about the PBR but won't try them until they have a 30" tall 9" tire.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not a 30x9, but I like the PBR 29.5/10.5, get more passes out of them than the Hoosier bias 29x10 or MT bias 29.5/10.5. I do wish MT made a 30x9 PBR, that’s what I’d run.
Bias I couldn’t get more than 50 passes before the sidewalls gave out (3700 pounds leaving on a ‘brake). The sidewall on the PBR don’t give much, current set has over 100 passes on them and no sign of giving up. Last set of PBRs had well over 200, they were working fine but I put new ones on in January. The ones I took off still had probably 50-75 more passes left in them, I kept them for spares. I generally hate MT slicks, Hoosier bias was my preference until I tried PBRs. Zero air pressure loss, they last a long time, short burnouts, 19-20 psi so they are very stable top end.
Hope that helps some..sure wish MT made a 30x9 PBR though.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
You are switching to the tire that I run if it is the 92.5" version. I don't think you'll notice any change in performance, but it should last longer. I got about 240 passes on the last set.

I wouldn't bother with the Goodyear. It's a fine tire, but no change from the Hoosier and all of their radials are lightweight now, so probably shorter life.

I'm curious about the PBR but won't try them until they have a 30" tall 9" tire.

Yep, I run the 92.5". I have 2 sets of rear rims. The plan is to put the newly bought C07 tires on the 10" wide rim. The 9" wide rims have the lightweight radials on them now & have 2-3 races left on them. Going to use them for Thanksgiving race 5 day event, 6 races total.

The 9" wide rims will probably get the M/T PBR 29.5x10.5 for next year. That will probably be pushing clearance issues. If I think there too close, I'll probably run the Goodyear 30x9.

I wish M/T would make the PBR in a 30x9, it would be a better fit for us.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iforgot:
Not a 30x9, but I like the PBR 29.5/10.5, get more passes out of them than the Hoosier bias 29x10 or MT bias 29.5/10.5. I do wish MT made a 30x9 PBR, that’s what I’d run.
Bias I couldn’t get more than 50 passes before the sidewalls gave out (3700 pounds leaving on a ‘brake). The sidewall on the PBR don’t give much, current set has over 100 passes on them and no sign of giving up. Last set of PBRs had well over 200, they were working fine but I put new ones on in January. The ones I took off still had probably 50-75 more passes left in them, I kept them for spares. I generally hate MT slicks, Hoosier bias was my preference until I tried PBRs. Zero air pressure loss, they last a long time, short burnouts, 19-20 psi so they are very stable top end.
Hope that helps some..sure wish MT made a 30x9 PBR though.

Thanks for the reply. Thinking about the PBR 29.5x10.5, but not sure if they'll fit without rubbing somewhere. Wish M/T made the PBR in 30x9 also.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Also..this may help.
I have 8” wheels on back, the 29.5x10.5 works great on an 8 or 9 inch wheel. The PBR is a little smaller than the same size MT bias- the bias would rub on the inside very slightly occasionally but the PBR clears just fine. I can take some measurements of mine when I get off work if you want.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also..this may help.
I have 8” wheels on back, the 29.5x10.5 works great on an 8 or 9 inch wheel. The PBR is a little smaller than the same size MT bias- the bias would rub on the inside very slightly occasionally but the PBR clears just fine. I can take some measurements of mine when I get off work if you want.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think the measurements will help. My issue is with tire height/RO, I'm very close to the outer portion on the inner fender. The current RO is 92.5", the PBR is listed at 94.2" & I don't want to change the ride height.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Also..this may help.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think the measurements will help. My issue is with tire height/RO, I'm very close to the outer portion on the inner fender. The current RO is 92.5", the PBR is listed at 94.2" & I don't want to change the ride height.

That's only ½" difference in diameter, which would only be ¼" difference at the top and ¼" in ride height.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I get better reaction times with the CO7.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
quote:
quote:
Also..this may help.

That's only ½" difference in diameter, which would only be ¼" difference at the top and ¼" in ride height.

There's a little shiny spot that the current tire rubs. I should have said the added tread width along with the RO will cause more of a rubbing issue.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have done very well bracket racing on Hoosier lightweight radial. Last fall we changed to them same size Hoosier radial in standard weight & slightly harder compound (C07). We only have 21 runs on them & the only thing noticed so far. They don't shake/chatter at the end of the burnout. The lightweight (C06) compound we had to be careful to prevent shake/chatter. Other than that, no differences at this time.

I'm getting ready to order another pair of radials for our 9" wide rims. This set will be either a MT or Hoosier 10.5 radial. I'm leaning toward the Hoosier 30x10.5r C07 compound with 92.5 RO, but it will be a close fit. I sure would like to try the M/T PBR, but the 94.2 RO has me worried. I know the 28x10.5 PBR would fit, but really don't want the added RPM (1/4). The new tire is primarily for the Million race (1/8 mile) & we have one other race 1/8 mile. I just don't know if the PBR is that much better of a radial to try for 2 races? Has anyone done any testing between the two?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
On my stocker.. Hoosier, we run 22-23 lbs press at 3600 lbs. the c7 will last longer = harder. Both great tires. It’s funny GY was allowed to sell a 94 rollout 30x9 labeled tire but Hoosier was told no. Hoosier takes very little burnout to work also. Our best 60 times were 1.29 but the average in bracket mode is 1.32-34. We run the taller tire with a 4.88 gear also. Be interested in seeing what you find changing. Good luck.
We run a 10” rim too...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have done very well bracket racing on Hoosier lightweight radial. Last fall we changed to them same size Hoosier radial in standard weight & slightly harder compound (C07). We only have 21 runs on them & the only thing noticed so far. They don't shake/chatter at the end of the burnout. The lightweight (C06) compound we had to be careful to prevent shake/chatter. Other than that, no differences at this time.

I'm getting ready to order another pair of radials for our 9" wide rims. This set will be either a MT or Hoosier 10.5 radial. I'm leaning toward the Hoosier 30x10.5r C07 compound with 92.5 RO, but it will be a close fit. I sure would like to try the M/T PBR, but the 94.2 RO has me worried. I know the 28x10.5 PBR would fit, but really don't want the added RPM (1/4).

The set of 28/10.5 PBRs I had were under the published rollout number by a fuzz. The set of 29.5 PBRs currently on my car measure 94.25, I just measured them.
PBR's have been the longest lasting, best hooking, most reliable slick I've ever owned in 24 years of bracket racing.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
On my stocker.. Hoosier, we run 22-23 lbs press at 3600 lbs. the c7 will last longer = harder. Both great tires. It’s funny GY was allowed to sell a 94 rollout 30x9 labeled tire but Hoosier was told no. Hoosier takes very little burnout to work also. Our best 60 times were 1.29 but the average in bracket mode is 1.32-34. We run the taller tire with a 4.88 gear also. Be interested in seeing what you find changing. Good luck.
We run a 10” rim too...

I was getting 130-150 runs on the C06 compound & still had check hole left. I'm sure the C07 compound will last longer, but I replace them after a year anyway.

I want to change to the PBR, but don't want the 28" tall. Maybe I'll get some measurements from IFORGOT for the 29.5x10.5 PBR.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm getting ready to order another pair of radials for our 9" wide rims. This set will be either a MT or Hoosier 10.5 radial. I'm leaning toward the Hoosier 30x10.5r C07 compound with 92.5 RO, but it will be a close fit. I sure would like to try the M/T PBR, but the 94.2 RO has me worried. I know the 28x10.5 PBR would fit, but really don't want the added RPM (1/4).

The set of 28/10.5 PBRs I had were under the published rollout number by a fuzz. The set of 29.5 PBRs currently on my car measure 94.25, I just measured them.
PBR's have been the longest lasting, best hooking, most reliable slick I've ever owned in 24 years of bracket racing.

OK, you gave the RO. Could you post the rim width (8" wide according to another post?) & what's the section width of the tire on that rim? I can't get a good section width on with measuring rim. Jegs says 12.0 & Summit says 12.7, both on a 10" wide rim. I can't seem to find the measurement @ M/T.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, you gave the RO. Could you post the rim width (8" wide according to another post?) & what's the section width of the tire on that rim? I can't get a good section width on with measuring rim. Jegs says 12.0 & Summit says 12.7, both on a 10" wide rim. I can't seem to find the measurement @ M/T.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

8" Draglite wheel.
Section width is exactly 11 7/8" on that 8" wheel. Actual 'contact patch' (how much tread area is on the track) is around 10 1/4"

Need any more measurements let me know.. Big Grin

ETA: I don't remember if a Hoosier 30x9 radial 'grows' on the big end or not, but the PBR's do not grow at all, so rollout at the big end is the same as sitting still. Also run 17-20 PSI in mine, top end stability is great..

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

8" Draglite wheel.
Section width is exactly 11 7/8" on that 8" wheel. Actual 'contact patch' (how much tread area is on the track) is around 10 1/4"

Need any more measurements let me know.. Big Grin

ETA: I don't remember if a Hoosier 30x9 radial 'grows' on the big end or not, but the PBR's do not grow at all, so rollout at the big end is the same as sitting still. Also run 17-20 PSI in mine, top end stability is great..

Thanks! I'll be mounting them on our 9" wide rims. They should be good section wise. The RO is the concern now, I already have a small shinny spot on the inner fender well. That's from our Hoosier 30x9s mounted on a 10" wide rim.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks! I'll be mounting them on our 9" wide rims. They should be good section wise. The RO is the concern now, I already have a small shinny spot on the inner fender well. That's from our Hoosier 30x9s mounted on a 10" wide rim.

Anytime! Maybe they'll work out good for you, I sure do like them!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
It’s funny GY was allowed to sell a 94 rollout 30x9 labeled tire but Hoosier was told no.

Huh? Hoosier has offered a 30 x 9 radial in 92.5" and 94" rollouts for many, many years.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sorry, My bad Lenny. They are bigger than 94.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post