Find
Notify
Tools

glide issue
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I have a powerglide fresh build. New clutches,steels , fresh PTC convertor. Trans brake never used not sure about that, When I launch the car it shifts almost immediately I dont really feel the shift. Dont seem like its slipping just goes into 2nd and stays there. I pulled the trans out and checked everying thing looks good, I did replace the high gear clutchs. I checked the pump I changed the pump gears the others wasnt bad just close on the clearance. Any ideas? Im thinking convertor or valve body, not sure..

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Who's build?

Transbrake VB would be full manual. Block off plate in place at the rear? What is a normal shift - manual, timed or RPM chip?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
My Build,Its a transbrake not a manual, and yes a block off plate is installed. I shift at 6800 its a electric shift. I pulled it out put my other in and it works perfect.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Question..

Are you shifting it or using electric or air?
You said fresh converter.
I ask about the method of shifting because years ago I borrowed a converter that was waaay to loose. In fact it was so loose that while still on the brake it would rev to the shift RPM and leave in high gear.
I had to change the launch and shift RPM so it would stay on the line and not shift to early.

Car was deadly but I didn't like the rpm it was doing.

So I suggest you look at the stall/flash rpm to make sure it isn't hitting your shift rpm as soon as it launches.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Flare on the shift, check the band adjustment.

Clearance high gear drum

Pressure test

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
like dave said if shifting on rpm it may be a loose convetor,swtch to time and shift at 2 seconds and see what happens.or send converto back to be checked.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1402 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
donr forget linkage adjust.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1402 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I called PTC which did my converter, but really didnt get much help. I called Ultimate Converter, they did mine for my 555 works great. They said with what I described it was way to loose..Which does make sense. I have a electric shifter and was set at 6800. If the converter is that loose it will shift real fast and stay there. I have another converter Im gona try, but Im putting it in a nova with a 496 in it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
I called PTC which did my converter, but really didnt get much help. I called Ultimate Converter, they did mine for my 555 works great. They said with what I described it was way to loose..Which does make sense. I have a electric shifter and was set at 6800. If the converter is that loose it will shift real fast and stay there. I have another converter Im gona try, but Im putting it in a nova with a 496 in it.

LOL.. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while..

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Covey,

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Remove the shift chip and shift it by hand...and see what you come up with...Have seen this issue before...

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Your description of the issue is severely lacking.

Is the engine reaching your normally desired shift RPM, the shifter solenoid is activated, the shifter moves and completes the shift? The only issue is that it happens way earlier in the run than you’d like?

Or is the trans just shifting right away by itself, internally?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3152 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post